Sign in with
Your question

HP firebird pc 9800s mxm GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2009 8:48:53 AM

hi, im looking at some pc's and was wondering if the hp firebird was good and what the max settings you could play crysis at were.
i was mainly wondering this because the graphics cards(nvidia 9800s mxm)used i think were created just for this hp computer.

here is a link to the specs-
http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/voodoo/firebird/1/st...

not sure if the price is right, at bestbuy the list price is $600 less and thats with the OS preloaded.
I've never heard of the 9800s mxm before. its not even on nvidias site where they show the geforce family.
what do you think?

For $1000 do you think this is a good buy or could something a little more expensive be better/more worth it?
thanks.

More about : firebird 9800s mxm gpu

June 9, 2009 3:09:34 PM

Your'e looking at buying a Q9400 with 2x 9800GT. Personally, I would spend the money on i7. Then again, This is pretty nice. You could likely save a fair amount of money if you went with say a HD4850X2. The major downfall with something like this would be the PSU (power). For the money you're looking at spending, you can do better. Say 2x GTX 260 core 216. Anyway, Depending on what you plan to do, Personally, I wouldn't buy this. You can put together you own for less.
June 9, 2009 3:16:38 PM

Not to mention that the upgradability of the Firebird is virtually non-existent.
Related resources
June 10, 2009 12:25:45 AM

good points guys, keep in mind though that the HP is now retailing for only about $1000 and not $1600 like in the HP official store.
June 12, 2009 1:12:50 AM

Hi CoolKid9989,

VoodooDan here from HP. Thanks for your interest in the Firebird.

From our point of view at HP, the Firebird 802 is a great option for gaming. It uses quad-core Intel Core 2 processors, 4GB of DDR2-800 memory, and dual Nvidia Geforce 9800S video cards with 1GB of memory which gives you what you need to handle most titles. I have played Crysis with its graphical setting on “High”. It can get a bit choppy, but it runs. Turning down shadow detail is a great help and will improve performance. (Any higher and the frame rates will drop.) But, also keep in mind that Crysis is very taxing on systems.

This review from Digital Trends can give you more details about the 802:
http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review/5788/hp-firebir...

If any questions come to mind while you are in decision mode, let me know. I’m happy to help.

Cheers,
VoodooDan
June 12, 2009 1:33:40 AM

its really really non upgradeable, thats why I suggest something like the Gateway 6800 FX. it will have a much longer lifespan and on mine I get about 30 fps on high settings on crysis. :D  good luck and the 6800 has I7 and DDR3. witch is more likely to last longer then the firebirds compact style.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/623040-REG/Gatewa...
only 920 bucks
June 13, 2009 2:24:43 PM

thanks for the links guys, right now my current gpu is a 8800 gts in a gateway fx laptop. so compared to the HP 802 how much better is the hp's 9800s sli gpu compared to the 8800 gts 512mb? and since the hp 802 is $1000 could i possibly go to a site like ibuypower and build one that is better for the same price?
January 31, 2010 2:00:09 AM

I am typing this from an 802 and its pretty amazing in its design concept and build. I figured out it is all mobile components in a deskside chassis with liquid cooling. Less noise and longer life for the CPU, Graphics, and MB controller chip

One of the comments here refers to a 750W or greater power supply and this solution is half that or better. Meaning that CPU/GPU compute capabilities with the liquid cooling coupled with the pri drive being RAID 0, 5 etc on the motherboard controller makes it that much snappier.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, 8GB, 2x250GB SSD (future) it will be a cool jewell to have in front of me for years to come.

Dan -- How many were ever made? I got mine eBay refurb for the going rate.
April 14, 2010 6:57:57 PM

VoodooDan said:
Hi CoolKid9989,

VoodooDan here from HP. Thanks for your interest in the Firebird.

From our point of view at HP, the Firebird 802 is a great option for gaming. It uses quad-core Intel Core 2 processors, 4GB of DDR2-800 memory, and dual Nvidia Geforce 9800S video cards with 1GB of memory which gives you what you need to handle most titles. I have played Crysis with its graphical setting on “High”. It can get a bit choppy, but it runs. Turning down shadow detail is a great help and will improve performance. (Any higher and the frame rates will drop.) But, also keep in mind that Crysis is very taxing on systems.

This review from Digital Trends can give you more details about the 802:
http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review/5788/hp-firebir...

If any questions come to mind while you are in decision mode, let me know. I’m happy to help.

Cheers,
VoodooDan

Hi VoodooDan - I'm considering purchase of a Firebird 802, it looks like a really sweet system. I'm curious, I'd like to install a fresh copy of Win7. Any issues with drivers or compatibility?

I'm also interested in experience playing Battlefield BC2 on it, if you've run across that info.

Thanks - Brian
!