Sign in with
Your question

Newbie overclocking i7 920

Last response: in Overclocking
March 26, 2011 12:38:07 PM

Hello all,

I don't know much about overclocking, but since the new Il-2 game is coming this week and requires a lot of power I thought I might try to overclock my computer a bit.

I have i7 920 processor 2,66ghz and a stock intel fan.

I have successfully overclocked my Processor to run at 3150Mhz by setting BCLK Frequenc to 150 (instead of 130). My processor is running hot enough that I know that I should not raise this much more than that.

I have a question about memory. I can get my memory to run with two different settings and I am not sure which one is better. My memory is 6x2gb DDR3 1600mhz CL9

Setting: AUTO on bios

(Details from a program called CPU-Z)
DRAM 600mhz
FSB : DRAM 2:8
CAS Latency (CL) 9 clocks
RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD) 9 clocks
RAS Precharge (tRP) 9 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 22 clocks

OR

If I change a System Memory multiplier to 12 (from Auto in BIOS), I get Memory frequence to go to 1600:

DRAM 900mhz
FSB : DRAM 2:12
CAS Latency (CL) 10 clocks
RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD) 13 clocks
RAS Precharge (tRP) 13 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 31 clocks

Now which one of those two Memory options above is better, it seems that the processor is running hotter when memory dram is set to 900mhz?

Thanks a lot!
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
March 29, 2011 11:04:13 PM

Try upgrading to a suitable after-market heatsink if you are planning on overclocking.

look at the CM Hyper 212+

Set RAM to 2:8 - this will keep the RAM within manufacturer's specs. (a slight underclock for the RAM is perfectly ok)

The 2:12 setting overclocks the RAM and could lead to problems. Not recommended.
!