BFG Geforce 260GTX problem

ferlinp

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I recently bought brand new parts that include the following:

Gigabyte MA790GP-UD4H Motherboard CPU Bundle - AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Black Edition Quad Core Retail Processor
BFG Geforce 260OC edition
2x 2GB Corsair Reaper edition PC9600 memory
DVD writer (LG)
Corsair 750watt TX series 80 PSU

My problem is that when i have assembled every component, and booted up, the machine boots from the integrated video only. I have disabled the integrated video, and i still wouldn't get the motherboard to display from the video card. I tried the other PCI-Ex slot and same thing. I've tried resetting BIOS to see if that would remedy the issue, but nothing. I've tried numerous switch arounds, disables, enables in BIOS but nothing!

One thing i haven't tried is flashing the BIOS to a recent update. But i've seen many people who bought a similar combination worked perfectly according to their reviews on newegg and tigerdirect.

Any help? Please!

goalguy02

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009

Are there any jumpers that need to be switched on your mobo when using PCI-E graphics?

Other than that, I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.

Best of luck.

ferlinp

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
No, there are none. I don't understand why either, everything came in well sealed packages, bought new. But there is just one thing though, when i power up the machine with the card power inserted, the machine revs like a car, and then takes about 10 secs to catch to a stable state. When the card power is plugged out, the machine starts fine, no revving. So i'm wondering, is it the PSU? I mean, it is new, and it's 750 Watts, enough to push my components, and then my voltage in my home is ~110V. What would you suggest?

Thanks!

roush2fast

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
The sound you are referring to is the GPU fan running at 100%. Do not be concerned with it.

Like mouse suggested look at your -Init Display First-. If the value in -Init Display First- says "Onboard” change it to PCIE.

ferlinp

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
thanks for the replies, and yes i've played around the initial display settings many times, default is PCI. As for the revving, i can see my CPU fan/PSU fan/ Video fan all slowing down and speeding up at intervals while the revving sound occurs

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
^+1 try that if it still refuses use another graphics card than see if it does , if it does RMA the card, or try again and make sure the power cables are in

Did you connect the display to the GTX 260? If you have a display connected to the motherboard graphics connector it will enable the onboard GPU. Anyway if something is defective it could be either the GPU, or the motherboard itself. Try another GPU in that motherboard to see if it works. If you know that GPU works and it works in the motherboard, then your GTX260 is probably defective. If that GPU doesn't work in your board, then your board is probably defective.

ferlinp

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Hey guys, the card is dead, i got a chance to test the board with another card. I confirmed the card not working as well by testing it on 2 other computers.

Strange, the card came sealed and didn't work. A power supply i bought with it came and didn't work either!

Strange...

Where did you purchase the items from?

What really done for me was when the Q6600 G0 stepping came out and they were charging way over the top for them, then to add insult to injury they were selling 'guaranteed overclockable to 3.6ghz' ones for even more and I couldn't help but wonder how they knew that the chips would go that high unless they had tried them in which case they were no longer 'new' but second hand, either way they will never see any of my cash so it's a moot point.

ferlinp

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
TO BE MORE SPECIFIC FOLKS, BOUGHT IT FROM AMAZON.COM AND IT WAS SOLD BY TIGERDIRECT THROUGH AMAZON.

SRY, BUT TIGER IS THE CULPRIT.

LATERZ

TRENDING THREADS