ESATA external disconnecting on write.

cazman34

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Hi there, I recently purchased a 1 terrabyte verbatim eSATA and usb 2.0 External hard drive to hold all my media. I decided to use the eSATA option because of the better speeds, plus all my USB ports are already being used up. So everything goes fine when I plug in the drive to the eSATA port first, windows recognizes it as a hard drive, I'm able to read the data that's already on it fine and add small files to it. Adding small movie files (700mb) works, but the hard drive disconnects after finishing. When I try and add a large file (1.32GB) I get the following error:

error.JPG

Any help would be appreciated since this drive is intended for large files.

I've already tried reinstalling drivers, checking if anything was out of place in the BIOS, and tried both NTFS and FAT32 file systems.

JEWeston

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

Have you every found a resolution to this issue? I have a very similar experience with a Lacie Quadra d2 1TB and a Dell Precision M6400. I have got a replacement Lacie, reloaded the laptop. BIOS update, tried the eSATA port on the laptop and the docking station, still to no avail

cazman34

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011

I bought an esata to USB converter, bums me out that I don't get the speed of esata, but it works, im able to read and write fine with it, the product I bought was this one: http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB449GB396&q=esata+to+usb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10315496712888269986&sa=X&ei=-EKDT9jeNKbX0QWHhoXiBg&ved=0CJgBEPMCMAU