Sign in with
Your question

[SOLVED] Intel Matrix RAID forgot drive, has 2 instances w same serial

Last response: in Storage
January 15, 2011 6:53:43 PM

Update: This problem fixed itself after my RAID 10 was allowed to finish rebuilding. The problem was listed as a known issue of the 9.6.0.1014 Intel RAID drivers - it might be fixed in newer versions of the driver, but it hasn't been listed as resolved in any release notes yet that I have been able to see.

---

I have a very bizarre situation with my Intel RAID. I normally have 4 identical 1.5TB drives in Matrix RAID, creating a 2TB RAID 10 and a 1.6 TB RAID 0. My computer recently BSOD'd and one of the drives dropped out. When I restarted, I noticed that my RAID 0 volume was gone. Windows was detecting a new drive, and the Intel app was complaining about a missing drive. I shut down, made sure the "missing" drive was still connected, started it up, and went to the configuration manager. It asked for the drive to rebuild to, so I selected the drive that dropped out. (This isn't what normally happens when a drive drops out - I can usually just tell the Intel application to mark the dropped drive as "Normal".)

Strangely enough, the system now thinks there are two different drives with almost the same serial number - one that is connected, and one that is missing. The real drive is now being used for the RAID 10, but it's not being recognized as the same drive as the one that was being used for the RAID 0. So now this Matrix RAID array and all its volumes appear as having 5 "drives", the four real drives and a "ghost".

I'm not sure how to proceed from here - I don't think I have anything valuable on the RAID 0 volume, but I don't want to delete it and remake it if it won't solve the problem.

I have a version of the Intel Rapid Storage Tech program that doesn't let me copy and paste, but the bits that I figure are most relevant are:

Intel Rapid Storage Technology
Kit installed: 9.6.0.1014
Intel RAID Controller: Intel (R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5 Series/3400 Series SATA RAID Controller
Number of SATA ports: 6
RAID option ROM version: 8.7.0.1007
Driver version: 9.6.0.1014
ISDI version: 9.6.0.1014

Name: Array_0000
Size: 5,723 GB
Available space: 0 GB
Disk data cache: Enabled
Number of volumes: 2
Volume member: 2TB Safe
Volume member: 1.6TB Fast
Number of disks: 5
Array disk: 9VS0AXM8
Array disk: 9VS0AY1A
Array disk: 9VS0BS5W
Array disk: 9VS0BX95
Array disk: 9VS0BX95:0

Name: 2TB Safe
Type: RAID 10
(serial numbers same as above)

Name: 1.6TB Fast
Type: RAID 0
Size: 1,627 GB
(serial numbers same as above)

Disk on port 3
Port location: Internal
Usage: Array disk
Size: 1,431 GB
Serial number: 9VS0BX95

Disk on port Unknown
Port location: Unknown
Usage: Array disk
Size: 0 GB
Serial number: 9VS0BX95:0
January 15, 2011 7:20:15 PM

I just found a document describing what might be this as a "Known issue" under 9.6.0.1014. The latest (10.1.0.1008) doesn't list it as either known or resolved.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18667/eng/ReleaseNotes1...

:0 or colon + zero is appended to serial number of drive in recovery volume

I'll probably try upgrading to 10.1.0.1008 after it finishes rebuilding if I don't find anything else to do.

==

[EDIT] Wow, and now it just magically fixed itself after the rebuild finished. Panicked for no reason, I guess? :)  Now I can just mark the drive as "Normal", like a typical dropped drive.

Going to update drivers anyway, so it (hopefully) doesn't happen again. I'll leave the info here for any future poor people that this happens to.
m
l
May 7, 2014 12:34:10 PM

please provide any solution to remove the :0 from raid info or make disk acceptable in Raid driver12.9.0....
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 17, 2014 9:35:59 PM

mweddy said:
please provide any solution to remove the :0 from raid info or make disk acceptable in Raid driver12.9.0....

I haven't seen the problem for a while, and I always have had to just wait. Is a volume still rebuilding? If so, you probably just need to wait (or tell the utility to rebuild to the disk, if possible).
m
l
May 22, 2014 12:41:04 AM

AySz88 said:
mweddy said:

I haven't seen the problem for a while, and I always have had to just wait. Is a volume still rebuilding? If so, you probably just need to wait (or tell the utility to rebuild to the disk, if possible).

My both drives are having issue in Raid 5, so i cant rebuild but if somehow if ichange Raid information in 1st disk by removing serial number extracharacter(:0) or change my actual HDD serial to serial:0 my raid can be rebuild.
Is there any way.
m
l
!