Sign in with
Your question

Connect network switch to DSL modem

Last response: in Networking
August 26, 2009 7:25:53 AM

Can i connect a network switch to a dsl modem so that i can connect more than one pc to the internet?

Thank you
Anonymous
August 26, 2009 11:37:07 AM

It depends on whether the DSL modem has a router built-in to it. What brand/model of DSL modem is it?

Grumpy
August 26, 2009 2:14:17 PM

i havent bought any modem yet,
iam thinking of buying a adsl modem and a network switch without buying a router as my previous router burnt unexpectedly.
Related resources
August 27, 2009 12:50:26 AM

If the ADSL modem has only a single ethernet port, chances are it doesn't have a built-in router and it expects to be connected to a single MAC device. Using a simple switch would not work in such a circumstance because a switch doesn't have a MAC address and the model would receive call from multiple computer's MAC; you would need a router for that.
Anonymous
August 27, 2009 11:08:06 AM

That's not true. Zyxel 660 DSL modems have a single etherenet but have built-in routers.
August 27, 2009 12:45:26 PM

Good to know. Here in Quebec, all major ISP provide the modem and none of them support routing, they are simply gateways. To help the OP, maybe people could contribute a list of DSL modems that have built-in router. After that the OP will be able to decide which solution he prefers (modem/router + switch vs modem+switch).
!