Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows Xp will not load on reboot

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
October 23, 2011 7:28:18 PM

My computer froze last week and I could not restart or turn it off through the Windows Start button or on/off button on the computer. I finally had to unplug it. I waited overnight, then plugged it in but now Windows does not load. It is a Dell computer running Windows XP. The Dell Logo loads, and the bar at the bottom fills completely, and says Windows is loading, but then goes to a screen that says Windows did not load. It gives me various choices, such as starting in Safe Mode...but when I choose anything (Safe Mode, Normal, etc), it just keeps coming back to that same screen. I cannot load Windows, or start in Safe mode, normal, or any mode at all. Is there some way I can get windows to load? thanks.

More about : windows load reboot

October 24, 2011 1:56:23 PM

karenladd said:
My computer froze last week and I could not restart or turn it off through the Windows Start button or on/off button on the computer. I finally had to unplug it. I waited overnight, then plugged it in but now Windows does not load. It is a Dell computer running Windows XP. The Dell Logo loads, and the bar at the bottom fills completely, and says Windows is loading, but then goes to a screen that says Windows did not load. It gives me various choices, such as starting in Safe Mode...but when I choose anything (Safe Mode, Normal, etc), it just keeps coming back to that same screen. I cannot load Windows, or start in Safe mode, normal, or any mode at all. Is there some way I can get windows to load? thanks.


:sarcastic:  I think it is due to some file corruption, that means your window is corrupted.
You can do a fresh install of windows :wahoo: 
m
0
l
October 24, 2011 2:52:46 PM

Do you have a Disable restart option in the menu (depends on the type) so we could see the error you get...

Then maybe you can fix it through bios, Recovery console, or by repair install...But we need to know what's wrong first...
m
0
l
Related resources
October 24, 2011 5:56:52 PM

truegenius said:
:sarcastic:  I think it is due to some file corruption, that means your window is corrupted.
You can do a fresh install of windows :wahoo: 


I tried this already but the computer won't even recognize my windows install disk. Just stays on that screen that says Windows failed to install. I also unplugged everything except my monitor, keyboard, and mouse but that didn't help either. No new hardware was installed when this happened.
m
0
l
October 24, 2011 6:00:19 PM

me 1 said:
Do you have a Disable restart option in the menu (depends on the type) so we could see the error you get...

Then maybe you can fix it through bios, Recovery console, or by repair install...But we need to know what's wrong first...


I don't know if I can disable restart or not. I switched out that computer with a different one so I could get online to do some research on the problem, but am planning to hook my old one up again to try some of the suggestions that I've gotten. I'll try to get into the bios. I tried Recovery already, and it didn't do anything except keep coming back to that Windows Did not install screen.
Thanks for your reply...I'll see if I can get any further!
m
0
l
October 25, 2011 3:26:23 AM

you need to select cd/dvd as primary boot device in bios setting, then put cd in drive then restart your computer, then it will show a screen after a few seconds from where you can start installation of window xp
m
0
l
October 25, 2011 3:45:43 AM


me 1 said:
Do you have a Disable restart option in the menu (depends on the type) so we could see the error you get...
karenladd said:
I don't know if I can disable restart or not. I switched out that computer with a different one so I could get online to do some research on the problem, but am planning to hook my old one up again to try some of the suggestions that I've gotten. I'll try to get into the bios. I tried Recovery already, and it didn't do anything except keep coming back to that Windows Did not install screen.
Thanks for your reply...I'll see if I can get any further!


Elaborating on the reply of me 1;

Next time you start your computer, poke often, (not hold) the F8 key.

Eventually the boot choices menu screen will appear. One choice will be to disable automatic restart on error. Use the cursor keys and move the highlight up/down to that and then press the enter key.

Your computer will try again to start, and probably fail. There should be a blue screen remaining with a statement that it did not start successfully.

There will be a message that looks something like:

Inaccessible_boot_ device STOP 0x00000007B (0000000000x0, 00000000000x0, 0000000000x0)

In the above example, I show Inaccessible_boot_ device and a lot of zeros but your screen will show it's own error and a mix of numbers and letters.

Write down the error and all the STOP numbers, letters and come back with that information.
m
0
l
!