DDR2 Memory Prices Doubled?

spazebar

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Im just wondering if anyone knows whats going on with DDR2 memory prices on NewEgg? I was just on there a few minutes ago trying to price a system for a friend and when I got to memory I saw that since I bult my computer in January the price for a 4GB kit of DDR2 has doubled and thats comparing the cheapest kit they have now to the mid range GSkill kit I bought (I paid $105ish for two 4GB kits and now they want $80 for one)! Am I missing something? I thought tech prices are supose to go dow over time. The only thing that

spazebar

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
That was my first hunch is that it had to do with DDR3 becoming more mainstream (I still think its definitely still upper tier.) DDR prices had actually been more expensive than DDR2 for a good while with the most recent I can directly quote was on the 20th of OCT when I helped my Grandparents buy more RAM for their computers and I thought it was ridiculous to pay that much for 1GB of RAM. DDR3 prices are about the same as those of DDR2. I guess you could explain this as the two reaching equilibrium as DDR2 manufacturing decreases for DDR3 production to increase? Maybe in another year DDR3 prices coming below DDR2 as more people end up on i3/5/7 and Phenom II?

it could be, DDR3 has been dropping and DDR2 has been increasing in price, this is why when i bought my system i knew it was only a matter of time that DDR2 was going to get expensive so i bought 8GB

so yeah, as more computers are getting put together using AM3/1156/1366 you will see more DDR3 production and less DDR2 production changing the prices

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006

There always a sweet spot when it comes to buying tech on a budget. Never the latest and greatest but the current generation. I work for a chip manufacturer, the newest designs and technologies with be at a price premium -to pay for the R&D. After the tech it proven, and yield is high then price with go down until the next wave of new tech. DDR2 is going become a specialty PC part when less vendor supplying it.

TRENDING THREADS