Can it be done for $1500?

punjabimunda

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
These are the specs I want.
Is it possible? Can someone do a quick check for me.

GTX 280
Intel Core i7 920
6GB DDR3
1TB SATAII 7200RPM
Power Supply 750W
18X DVD+/-R/RW
Intel X58 motherboard
and a decent case

chefjw

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

punjabimunda

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Can you post me some parts from newegg that are trustworthy. Thats the most important for me, even more than budget. I would greatly appreciate it.

chefjw's parts list above is good stuff. Were I in your shoes, and wanting what you're asking for, that'd be a good bet. He's got good brands all around there.

The hard drive he selected, I just installed today (2 of them in fact). :)

The Gigabyte board chefjw recommended will allow 3 way SLI or Crossfire. The DFI board you listed will do 2 way. It would take a chunk of change and a substantial power supply to do 3 way though, and tests show it may actually reduce performance.

I generally prefer the ATX boards over the Micro ATX. Just more room on them.

As far as the video card goes. You can probably pick up two GTX 260 cards for close to the same price as a single GTX 280. SLI 260's will beat the 280 all day long (at least in games which support SLI).

I haven't looked at to many 275 benchmark/reviews personally. My GTX 260 is a Core 216 model, and runs everything I throw at it.

Other thing to look at, is the resolution of your monitor. I play stuff @ 1920 x 1080 and my GTX 260 is plenty for me. My GTX 260 is an MSI made unit. At it's stock fan settings the thing is near silent. Though, it admittedly needs to have the fan set higher to keep it as cool as I'd like it to be.

punjabimunda

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I don't plan on connect 3 cards at the same time, 2 is my max. Should I be scared from the bad reviews on his link?

And do you know the smallest possible case I can buy, one that I can put it inside my luggage for flights?

couldnt one of your servants do this for you?
newegg.com

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

I'm pretty sure his servants have more important things to do! Now shut up and get to work.

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009

You're going to travel with this thing oO?
Because I really don't recommend doing so since big video cards don't hold up well to shocks (that happens a lot with airplane luggage... You'd need to unmount your card(s) before doing so...

punjabimunda

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Thanks for that advice. I'll make sure to do that. Any other components that I should take out?
And can anything smaller than a midsize tower properly cool my components?

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009

You're going to a Core i7, I wouldn't recommend taking anything smaller than mid-size... you'll have heat issues, especially your long video card will probably not fit.

About components, RAM is going to be fine, heatsink on the CPU should be good too (if you stick with the factory one it's fine, if not, maybe it may take off...) personally I would remove the hard drive and protect it away from the PC itself.