External hard drive disconnects then reconnects periodically

PIZZA Man

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I have a 1.4TB Seagate Free Agent external hard drive that will disconnect and then reconnect a few seconds later, and does this about every 20 or 30 minutes. Even when I'm not accessing the drive or using the computer it does this. I dual boot XP and Vista and it does this in both. My first thought was to try a different cable, but the problem persisted. However when I tried the drive with my laptop I had no problems whatsoever. Given the symptoms I'm gonna take a guess that it's a hardware problem, but more than that I have no idea.

Solution

PIZZA Man, I stumbled across your post looking for a similar answer (my external Seagate drive has been doing the same thing and driving me nuts). The previous poster's comment about sleep time got me thinking, so I went into Seagate Manager to play with the settings.

Under "My Drives", "settings" button, I clicked on ""Adjust Power Settings"

The options here appear to regulate the drive going into power saving mode. I can't confirm this is the root cause of the issue we are both experiencing, but it seems highly probable. I changed the power-saving mode frequency to "Never" and will keep an eye on it to...

taranaM

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

Using Seatools or whatever software teh HD came with, check the sleep time.

jamesaber

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011

PIZZA Man, I stumbled across your post looking for a similar answer (my external Seagate drive has been doing the same thing and driving me nuts). The previous poster's comment about sleep time got me thinking, so I went into Seagate Manager to play with the settings.

Under "My Drives", "settings" button, I clicked on ""Adjust Power Settings"

The options here appear to regulate the drive going into power saving mode. I can't confirm this is the root cause of the issue we are both experiencing, but it seems highly probable. I changed the power-saving mode frequency to "Never" and will keep an eye on it to see if it resolves the issue - you might want to try the same

Hope this helps,
James

Solution

PIZZA Man

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I'm not 100% certain, but I think that worked! It's been much longer than usual since it disconnects! When I was about to give up hope you came along and saved me. Thank you!