Sign in with
Your question

External hdd kinda broke

Last response: in Storage
January 16, 2011 6:10:25 AM

Hello, i have a Western Digital elements 1gb external hdd and it seems to have suddenly stopped working. i unplugged it because it was running slow and was making a ticking sound just like a clock and now when i plug it back in i get no response apart from the light flashing and the same ticking sound, also when i unplug it i get a message on my screen pop up asking me if i want to format it.
a b G Storage
January 16, 2011 3:37:23 PM

hard drives are not supposed to make any noises. If it has ticking sound, most likely it is damaged.

Have you tried to plug in another computer? Or different OS?

If all else fails, you can try to crack the casing open, remove the hard drive, and plug into another enclosure. DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Sometimes it is the pcb board inside the enclosure that is defective. However in you case it is unlikely because of the noise.
January 17, 2011 1:32:50 AM

i have only had it for 5 months so it still under warranty, i really just want to get my stuff off it then i can send it in to get replaced/fixed. i have no idea how it broke either, its been siting on my desk since the day i got it and i haven't touched it.

EDIT: i just opened the case and plugged the hdd directly into the computer and had no luck, any other ideas?
Related resources
January 17, 2011 4:20:32 AM

Make sure not to tell the manufacture that you opened it up, when you RMA it, because I think that probably voids the warranty... :/ 
January 17, 2011 5:00:05 AM

mmm yea maybe i should send in the HDD inside without the case in case they can tell i have opened it.
a b G Storage
January 17, 2011 3:57:54 PM

Keep in mind that the manufacturer will not retrieve your data. Data retrieval can cost more than $1000 US.
!