Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What's the point of Tri-SLI? too much $$$ out the window!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 9, 2009 7:16:31 PM

To me, What's the point?

You have to deal with
Microstuttering issues
Only some games support it
Wattage and power concerns (who's paying the bill?)
it's not really 3x the FPS?

Sure, there's the extra FPS in Crysis, but it's just one game, and i can play Crysis fine on 30 FPS with my OCed GTX 260 core 216.
(that's at very high on 2 or 4 AA)

I mean, i prefer better single-GPU cards that can do at least 50% more than my current card, and then i'll get that card.
Save your money for other stuff or save it for the next cards, like the GTX 300s or the HD 5800s.

More about : point tri sli window

a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2009 7:26:27 PM

What is the point of any high end tech?

There is noone forcing anyone to buy it, if you have the cash for it though there is no difference with high end crossfire/sli rigs now and having a 40" TV 20 years ago. Or having a Quad core CPU when still most programs don't even come close to taking advantage of all cores.

Anyone with tri SLI (who thoguht about it at all anyway) probably has an upgrade cycle short enough that they plan to get a gtx 300 and/or rv800 series card when they come out anyway.

That and micro stuttering is BS now a days. If there ever existed such an issue it was corrected ages ago.

As for the scaling.. come now, obviously it is not 3x the FPS. It is still no worse scaling than going from an overclocked 9550 to an extreme 9770 which is pushing 10 times the cost..

There is a premium for cutting edge, that includes far less bang for your buck, and dealign with growing pains in the tech (bugs etc.). It is still worth it for many enthusiasts. And really what is wrong with that? It isnt my money.. if someone spends 4 grand on their computer and has fun with it so what? I see people blowing that much a week on crap for thier car they don't really need, or on booze... Whatever floats your boat.
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 9, 2009 7:34:23 PM

^+1
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2009 7:34:37 PM

I mean really, if we complained about everything that people spend their money on that they don't realyl need... that would be one hell of a long list.

While people who can't afford it should be smart with thier cash, and I greatly respect someone who can afford it that wants to save instead.. I can see many worse things in this world than buying some gadgets you don't really need. And frankly, people have been buying gadgets they don't need since humans discovered technology.. I don't see it stoping any time soon.
June 10, 2009 12:24:53 AM

I do indeed see the point, as two cheaper cards can be or even are better than a single. most problems have been sloved for this type of system anyway.

I wouldn't be buying Directx11 stuff untill next year. as there will be no game that can use it till next year anyway (im taking it) so whats the point + it would have come down in price, the only thing I might buy is windows 7 as by the sounds of it, its worth it
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2009 12:53:15 AM

even with the dx11, i would think that a lot of game makers would still make at least a dx10 version for a year or two after dx11
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2009 12:59:27 AM

More likely to be dx10.1, which is bad if you own an Nvidia card.
a c 376 U Graphics card
June 10, 2009 1:40:40 AM

With XP as entrenched as it is I highly doubt we will see any major games that aren't dx9 compatible for a long, long time(apart from perhaps Halo 2/Shadowrun kind of things where MS has a direct hand in making it purposely incompatible.)
June 10, 2009 2:04:58 AM

well the only game atm that can go DX10.1 is HAWX and it can only use that on AMD cards.... a bit on the odd side that.
June 10, 2009 3:03:59 AM

Chronobodi said:
To me, What's the point?

You have to deal with
Microstuttering issues

Sure, there's the extra FPS in Crysis, but it's just one game, and i can play Crysis fine on 30 FPS with my OCed GTX 260 core 216.

I mean, i prefer better single-GPU cards that can do at least 50% more than my current card, and then i'll get that card.
Save your money for other stuff or save it for the next cards, like the GTX 300s or the HD 5800s.

Well...let me think when you are scientist, lets say a scientist in the "geology" field, you have to make a super complex 3d model of a certain region and animate how climate or plates or whatever works on it...do you think a GTX260 could handle that...it fart out dust trying to get a mere 1 fps on it, do you think GTX295 can...also no, not even close, do you think 1 3000dollar quadro fx 5800 card can handle it...maybe...do you think 2 quadro fx5800 cards can handle it...your only true chance

-see what i mean. SLI is a way to compensate for the weakness of having a not powerful enough single GPU

-Thats why we have SLI, its like asking, why does a family need 2 cars if 1 can do the job...

-Remember, videocards are not only for games
June 10, 2009 3:16:45 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Well...let me think when you are scientist, lets say a scientist in the "geology" field, you have to make a super complex 3d model of a certain region and animate how climate or plates or whatever works on it...do you think a GTX260 could handle that...it fart out dust trying to get a mere 1 fps on it, do you think GTX295 can...also no, not even close, do you think 1 3000dollar quadro fx 5800 card can handle it...maybe...do you think 2 quadro fx5800 cards can handle it...your only true chance

-see what i mean. SLI is a way to compensate for the weakness of having a not powerful enough single GPU

-Thats why we have SLI, its like asking, why does a family need 2 cars if 1 can do the job...

-Remember, videocards are not only for games

you do hold turth there. however how many of us do that out of our own monies :p 
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 10, 2009 8:08:53 AM

Amg said:
well the only game atm that can go DX10.1 is HAWX and it can only use that on AMD cards.... a bit on the odd side that.

Assassins Creed is another iirc, and I don't care for either of them.
June 10, 2009 8:37:32 AM

Chronobodi said:
To me, What's the point?

You have to deal with
Microstuttering issues

Troll much?
June 10, 2009 12:27:53 PM

Well My triple Sli machine is still going strong and it takes everything I throw at it.
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2009 12:54:50 PM

Quote:
What's the point of Tri-SLI?

So you can play games at very high resolutions and solid FPS on your 30" panel.

If you dont' have a large format display, then the excess power is somewhat wasted.
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 10, 2009 1:16:21 PM

baddad said:
Well My triple Sli machine is still going strong and it takes everything I throw at it.

No,no,no why not you listen to ChronoBodi?, as well as the microstuttering(?) only some games are supported, you aren't getting three times the frame rate and you haven't saved money for the GTX 300s or the HD 5800s. Just because you have a stonking rig that you enjoy using doesn't mean you are right!, it's so obvious why can you not see the error of your ways man, now let us all bow down to the greatness that is the ChronoBodi for he has shown us the light and may we never stray from the path that he shall lay out before us lest we be stuck down forever to burn in the dammnation of our ignorance.
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2009 1:36:16 PM

Why stop at gpus? Why do people buy the i975 instead of the i920? It costs more than 3 times as much, never gives even twice the output, and in some things, its no better all.

People do it cause they want the best out. Not all cars are chevys and fords, thats why you have Ferrari , McLarens etc, because theyre the best. Cant see why you cant figure that out. Were like a club here in a way, exclusive to HW for PCs, and were going to run the full gamut of types of desires/wishes for their rigs, some want quiet, some want power, some oc, some want green etc etc etc etc
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 10, 2009 2:01:00 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Why stop at gpus? Why do people buy the i975 instead of the i920? It costs more than 3 times as much, never gives even twice the output, and in some things, its no better all.

People do it cause they want the best out. Not all cars are chevys and fords, thats why you have Ferrari , McLarens etc, because theyre the best. Cant see why you cant figure that out. Were like a club here in a way, exclusive to HW for PCs, and were going to run the full gamut of types of desires/wishes for their rigs, some want quiet, some want power, some oc, some want green etc etc etc etc

Hieratic!, hieratic, ye speakath against the ChronoBodi, hieratic! ye shall be damned to enjoy your life, ye shall suffer in your knowledge of righteousness.
June 10, 2009 2:31:30 PM

Mousemonkey said:
No,no,no why not you listen to ChronoBodi?, as well as the microstuttering(?) only some games are supported, you aren't getting three times the frame rate and you haven't saved money for the GTX 300s or the HD 5800s. Just because you have a stonking rig that you enjoy using doesn't mean you are right!, it's so obvious why can you not see the error of your ways man, now let us all bow down to the greatness that is the ChronoBodi for he has shown us the light and may we never stray from the path that he shall lay out before us lest we be stuck down forever to burn in the dammnation of our ignorance.

:o  :lol: 

that whole thing should be a quote!

Croc:
Troll much?
i'm just stating what i think, that doesn't make me a troll, does it?

And, on a side note, here's an article on micro-stutter:
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,631668/Video-proof-Mi...
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 10, 2009 3:26:45 PM

If that article covered every known configuration of every piece of hardware and could show that the so-called 'microstutter' was present in each and every set up then I would agree. but it does not thus I consider it a case of components not being matched up correctly, but as I know how to put a system together correctly I have never had the problem therefore the problem does not exist. Q.E.D
June 10, 2009 3:39:57 PM

i ve never had microsuttering tbh and thats with crossfire.

and I agree whats the point in getting top end i7 when 920 can the do the job in fact why I7 for just gaming?
June 10, 2009 4:54:56 PM

Chronobodi said:
:o  :lol: 

that whole thing should be a quote!

Croc:
Troll much?
i'm just stating what i think, that doesn't make me a troll, does it?

And, on a side note, here's an article on micro-stutter:
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,631668/Video-proof-Mi...

Umm, that article is nearly a year old. Im sure this has been fixed. I can say Ive never noticed any kind of stutter with my SLi 8800GT.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 5:28:36 PM

baddad said:

Mine too. I did triple SLi because I could.

Q9650 water-cooled @stock 3.0GHz, 3x250GTS 512, MSI P7N2 Diamond 790i, 2GB Corsair ram at 1600MHz, XClio modular 1200W, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.
January 10, 2010 10:57:28 PM

I used to have a micro-stutter, people at school made fun of me for it so my mom took me to a speech therapist :-D
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 10, 2010 11:28:45 PM

And on that note.
!