Athlon 64 3800+ on K8N Neo2 Platinum Mobo

dannyworsley

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Hi all, this is my first post in the community. I am seeking some advice on overclocking an Athlon 64
Basically I bought this PC from a mate of a mate. The system spec is as follows.

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (bios flashed with latest MSI release)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (with akasa evo33 sink fitted)
PSU: Thermaltake 500w
Ram: 4x 1GB Crucial DDR400 (all matching)
HDD: 320GB Maxtor Sata Primary / 500GB Samsung Sata Storage
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD4260 1GB 8x AGP

When I originally first got the PC it had a Nvidia 8400GT AGP card fitted, performance was great for the games I use apart from a few problems that cropped up later on, graphics not displaying correctly, unstable fps, blackouts etc. I found later the fan on the graphics heatsink had packed in so in result pretty much cooked it.
I fitted the new ATI Radeon I purchased, at first it didn't seem to like the bios clock settings. So I simply booted into bios setup and wrote down the current clock settings and voltages for the ram, gpu and cpu. I then reverted all values back to factory settings.
After a reboot Windows started up, the graphics card appeared to be working fine, but I think the fps rate could of been a bit better if I was going to be picky. But Im now having issues with the cpu. It does not seem to like the default clock settings so its running as quick as my old 1.8ghz amd sempron pc, which is simply intolerable! The cpu usage levels are altering between 75% to 100% and core temp is reaching 65 degrees with only background programs running. It never did this until I defaulted the bios settings.
Being honest I only know the plain basics with pc's, overclocking is totally new to me. So I need a simple explanation to how overclocking on an AMD Athlon 64 chipset works, and how that ties in with the graphics card and Ram so I can try work out what clock and voltage values I can sit and play with to correct the problems.

Any support will be much appreciated. :)

xfisher

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Did you ever get it overclocked? I am a newbie too. If you have the 939 socket have you tried to run windows 8 yet? I am still running XP and thinking of upgrading to either W7 or W8.