How do you turn on a computer...? (Read)

Paul22000

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
On Friday I finally received my new CPU and mobo from newegg, and got to building straight away. I took out the old motherboard, cpu, and heatsink and placed the new ones in.

I connected absolutely nothing except power to motherboard (2x10 pins and 2x2 pins), video card power, heatsink power, and the front panel connectors.

So I pressed the power button...

...And nothing happened.

I double-checked the power connections, the manual, the front panel connectors and still nothing happened. Triple-checked, quadruple checked... I even connected my old motherboard/cpu and still nothing.

Hours passed.

Finally, I decided to take off the front face plate and when I did, I accidentally pressed the power button and BAM, the PC turned on.

After a little more experimenting, I figured out that the ONLY way the the PC can be turned on is if I take the front face plate off and jiggle the wires around behind the power button. Very frustrating.

Anyway, long story short, is there any way to turn on a PC besides using the power button?

Turning the power on is basically just connecting the two motherboard jumper pins that are attached to the front-panel power button. If you can't fix the button itself, you could just buy another button, drill a hole in the case to mount it, and connect it to the motherboard jumpers for the power switch.