Sign in with
Your question

What is a healthy "free space" percentage for optimum performance?

Last response: in Storage
January 16, 2011 3:21:46 PM

I am wondering what a healthy % of free space is needed for [most] systems to operate at their best. I have personally observed, and have been told [in a dialog box] that more free space is needed in order for the computer to operate optimally. I am wondering what the actual threshold is...say in a ratio format.

80/20 80 max HD space/20% free +/-2%

[+/- 2% x=y per GB/HD]

+/-2% x=%free y=max hd storage space

Example: 1TB HD/200 GB of free space is needed.

Wow, I hope the above makes sense...lol. Just trying to explain. I hate math lol...

I have found for my system [see specs below in sig, OS running on a 150 GB WD HD] that when I leave at least 30 GB of free space, my machines runs as smooth as silk. Has anyone else wondered the same? I think this matters as I know I am not the only one that has experienced it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!..."
a b G Storage
January 16, 2011 6:02:09 PM

I am really not sure, i never fill my HDD's up even close, because they tend to run slower, defragmentation is also much harder and lengthy. I heard somewhere that i should be around 20% minimum. Not sure though.

Side Note: I'm watching the game right now and looks like your seahawks are down by 21 and are shutout so far in the 3rd quarter. You might put up a field goal if you're lucky :) . Don't feel bad, the Ravens lost yesterday and Im really upset about that.
January 16, 2011 6:22:18 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
I am really not sure, i never fill my HDD's up even close, because they tend to run slower, defragmentation is also much harder and lengthy. I heard somewhere that i should be around 20% minimum. Not sure though.

Side Note: I'm watching the game right now and looks like your seahawks are down by 21 and are shutout so far in the 3rd quarter. You might put up a field goal if you're lucky :) . Don't feel bad, the Ravens lost yesterday and Im really upset about that.

...right right. I know machines run slower when they run low on HD space. Makes sense. I agree with you, from experience. I think it is 20% of free space for optimal performance. I just love the 1 TB HD these days. Not too long ago and a 160 was a lot. Can't wait for another 5 years to see whats next! :bounce: 

...and i think the Seahawks are done... :cry: 
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 16, 2011 6:49:47 PM

^Yes, they are done :) , right its 9:44 on the clock 4th Qtr and down by 18, unless they get a Pick-six and can come up with two more TD drives, its over lol.
January 25, 2011 11:37:51 PM

...I think it is 20% of free space for optimal performance. Anyone have an answer to my question? I am wondering if there is an exact % is all...

Thanks...
!