9600 gso overclocking

Akira00

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Hello,

i have a 9600 gso which had a tone of dust in it and was like that for a couple of months... temps were idle:79C load: 106+C and most games would play until it reached 115C and would start to throttle. i cleaned it out and now get idle: 49C load: 65C

what i would like to know is that i have now overclocked the card and get idle:53C load: 75C... should i stay with this or revert back ?

Note nvidia's recommended max temp is 105C for this card

Solution
Holy crap. 115'C.is.super.high.

The max recommended temps for most cards (your included buddy) shouldn't exceed 90'C, and even that is very high.

Try overclocking in small bits, 10MHz at a time, until you can benchmark the GPU with something like FurMark at max resolution for 10 minutes straight without the temps exceeding 90'C, then you'll know you've reached it's limit.

It's really hard to give you simple, rock solid core/VRAM speed, as the stability and power of each card differs from the next. With a card as old as the 9600, the best thing you can do is to try-test-decide until you get something you're happy with.

Good luck :)

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Holy crap. 115'C.is.super.high.

The max recommended temps for most cards (your included buddy) shouldn't exceed 90'C, and even that is very high.

Try overclocking in small bits, 10MHz at a time, until you can benchmark the GPU with something like FurMark at max resolution for 10 minutes straight without the temps exceeding 90'C, then you'll know you've reached it's limit.

It's really hard to give you simple, rock solid core/VRAM speed, as the stability and power of each card differs from the next. With a card as old as the 9600, the best thing you can do is to try-test-decide until you get something you're happy with.

Good luck :)

Solution

Akira00

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
well i got it over clocked to 10%
stock core clock: 548mhz
mem clock: 400mhz
shader clock: 1334mhz

overclock core clock: 683mhz
mem clock: 500mhz
shader clock: 1570