the shoe

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Just built a computer 2 months ago and it loses 1-2 minutes a day. This happens whether i leave it on or shut it off.
Any ideas?

Thanx

the shoe

Distinguished
May 10, 2009

I could understand that, but it loses time when its running.

the shoe

Distinguished
May 10, 2009

Funny you say that. I just got off the phone with Asus and they said its not possible and they have never heard of such a thing. They said contact Microsoft because its an OS problem, which i have a hard time believing. I aggree with you that its the mobo. Seems that i need some sort credable evidence that its the mobo to present to Asus or they'll just shrug me off again. How shall i go about this with Asus?

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Hmm well seeing as there are however many million computers running windows and their clocks work, I don't think it's an os problem. Can you return the board to whomever you bought it from? I always shop newegg and they never give me problems on my returns.

zehpavora

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
There's 2 solutions I could come up with.

To test if it is an OS problem, just log into the BIOS (since it has a clock too) and leave it there. Wait for as much time as needed and see if something happened.

If not, your OS is the problem. To solve it as an OS issue, you better try to erase recent updates, don't know if my guess is right, but a bad update may have screwed your clock.

Is it does, try cleaning the BIOS. If you want to try, go for a BIOS update, too. Maybe it does something, right?

Again, I came up with those. If they work, I don't know.

mrmez

Splendid
You need to find out exactly how much time it loses a day. Then work out how much time ur pc is on per day. The latter needs to be expressed in percentages.

Take the time ur pc is on. Divide 24(hours) by that number
24/8 = 3

Take the time loss in minutes and divide by 1440 (minutes in 24 hours)
That will give you a % time loss per day.
60(time loss)/1440(minutes per day)=4.16%

Take that % time loss and multiply it by ur total pc on ratio.
4.16% x 3 = 12.48%

Now... you need to overclock your CPU by 12.48% to compensate for 60sec/24hour clock slowdown, assuming your pc runs 8 hours per day.

Substitute the numbers as you need, good luck.

That won't work, or else all of us with significantly overclocked PCs would have our clocks running way fast.

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Check for spyware & viruses, I know there used to be a bug that messed with the computer time and will pop up after awhile offering a "Fix" for your problem. Kinda a long shot because the patches for it have been out for years. Make sure you have all your windows updates current and a good antivirus program.

^That is kind of what I was thinking, computer clocks simply don't lose time on their own, something is changing it. I have had a bad battery cause a clock to simply display the wrong time when you boot, but not really cause it to lose time as the OP has described.

Why not simply get a regular time update from an atomic clock? It's easy to configure and an hourly time update would resolve the issue once and for all. I've seen several systems with that minor issue, including HP servers, etc.

To determine if it's a hardware issue, accurately set the time before you power off the system and check the time again in the BIOS when you power it up the next day.