Sign in with
Your question

SB XI-Fi Fatal1ty front panel not working

Last response: in Components
August 24, 2009 12:37:36 AM

I have 2 really annoying problems with my front I/O panel for my fatal1ty sound card

1: An incredible amount of noise floods into my headset when I plug the microphone jack in. since there is so much noise on the microphone channel, the microphone jack is virtually useless. No one can hear what I say when I talk into the microphone, instead they hear the constant noise that I hear in my headset.

2: For some reason my left speaker on my headset gets muted on and off about every 10 seconds. The sound from the left channel creeps into the right speaker every time this happens. I think it has to do with a driver problem related to the virtual CMSS 3D sound feature, but it still happens even with virtual 3D sound off. It also might have to do with headphone optimizations, but everything that I have tried with that setting was useless as well.

All of the errors that I have mentioned above only happen with the front panel. There are absolutely no noise or channel reassignment and muting errors with any speaker on the back audio jack.

I have checked that the panel is connected properly, checked to make sure that my headphones work, updated drivers, and contacted creative support. Unfortunately, no one on the creative assistance team had any useful solution and most of them did not speak English well.
August 24, 2009 1:30:56 AM

OK, full disclosure - I've never even seen your sound devices, let alone used one. But I am interested in them and was curious, so I downloaded the manual.

One connection interested me - it says there are 2 aux-in jacks on the "optional 5.25" adapter". I gather these are connected to the main device via a proprietary cable.

So I wondered what would happen if this optional connector was incorrectly installed or missing, or if the entire adapter were not used (ie, you mounted it in a 3.5" bay). Is it possible you are getting feedback via a loose/bad cable or open connection?

Just a thought, FWIW.
August 24, 2009 4:18:06 AM

Thanks for taking interest. Unfortunately, the connector that you mentioned is an almost completely useless jack that only connects 2 RCA auxiliary audio jacks.
Related resources
August 24, 2009 5:22:03 AM

Yes, but that almost completely useless jack might be the source of the feedback you get if it's not terminated or actually used to connect to the 2 RCA auxiliary audio jacks. That was my only point.

Good luck.
August 24, 2009 5:52:10 AM

I own the exact same card and front panel...

What OS and Drivers are you using ?

Get the latest drivers from Creative and see if that fixes it... If that doesn't work check your cables for shorts. (not saying there is any but its worth checking)

Also check your creative sound panel settings for muting channels when head phones are plugged in.

You might also check the sound devices properties page for settings in Windows (if your using Windows)
August 24, 2009 5:52:31 AM

Edit: Double Posted.... ?

Well it did say there was an error of some sort.
!