I have a 9800GTX. Im running Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I purchased an HDMI to DVI cable to go from my rig to my TV, its a 50'' Panasonic Plasma. HDMI on the TV, DVI on the rig. I have both my monitor and TV hooked into the 9800. I go through Nvidias control panel to tell it to switch to the tv. I have to make the TV the primary if I want it to show up then change it back when I am done. Most of the time this works but sometimes it doesnt. It tries to show up but it eventually reverts back to my monitor. When it does work, I get tiny red lines through the screen periodically flashing around and sometimes it locks up the tv although the computer is still running. I have to unplug the tv from the rig and screw around till it shows back up on my monitor. Then it is hard if not impossible to get back to the tv. Sometimes a reboot will help. Usually not though. Why is this occuring? Anybody have any ideas? It is very inconsistent so its hard to narrow down why. Sometimes I can just plug in the TV by itself and it works and sometimes it wont show up. I am pulling out my hair!
I find Nvidia's software to manage dual monitors to be sub par. So as the last person suggested, you may want to try out different programs to manage them.
Even though you are using Vista, thought I would mention this:
Included in Windows 7 is easier management of dual monitors. You can just use Win-key + P, and it lets you extend, duplicate, or select either monitor separately, which fixed my issues with Nvidia's terrible software.
1. make sure you have the pc plugged into the correct HDMI port. I've seen many TV's require PC's through a specific port
2. Try using windows to manage the multiple monitors.
3. Try manually setting the TV to 59 Hz in windows. use the monitor as the extended. once that works revert the monitor back to the primary.
1. It does work most of the time. Last night for instance, it worked great for about 45 mins then started with the red lines flickering for a few seconds then it was fine for another 10 mins or so then the screen (TV) locked up. I had to unplug both connections to get it to come up on the monitor again.
2. I did. Seems to work a little better with Windows but still have the same problems.