Intel i5-2500k Temperatures

ahflam

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Hi,
Yesterday I built my first Desktop by myself (yay). I am looking to overclock and have some questions about CPU temperatures.

My rig right now is:

ASUS P8P67 Pro
i5-2500K
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
G.Skill Ripjaws F3 8gb @ 1600mhz
Evga 560Ti
Corsair AX750

all in a Corsair Obsidian 650D

Everything is running stock right now and my average temperatures are:
idle: 30 degress C
Load: 47 degrees C

When I bought the cooler I read many reviews from sites and users and I read about temperatures as low as 25 degrees when idle. Since it was my first time building, I would imagine I didn't do a great job applying the thermal compound (if anything I was too conservative because I read that people often put WAY too much).

The questions I have are:
What kind of difference do those 4-5 degrees have? Since it is already quite low I am imagining that it is almost negligible.

Second, what kind of temperatures count as "good" temperatures for a CPU?

Lastly, what temperature should I aim for roughly if I do overclock? I likely won't be pushing too hard but what is an acceptable range?

Thanks!

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Those temperatures are very acceptable, although I doubt that is an actual full load temp, just a partial load. Those 4-5 degrees shouldn't be anything to worry about unless you are going for a major overclock. Good temps would probably be less than 70, although my Gigabyte motherboard thinks 80 (stock speed and cooler when running LinX) is OK, so I think that would probably be acceptable (as it won't be anything like that under normal usage).

ahflam

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
The load temperatures I got were recorded when I was running Prime95 doing the FFT's, I read that it was it was the best way to find temperatures for your CPU under full load.

Thanks for the reply! I will probably get around to trying it out once I start finals so I can run the stability tests while I study and not be tempted to game =P

ww2003

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
For everything I have found you want to stay under 70 C. As for your idle temp its ok. My I5 2500k is running idle at 34C with a 4.3 oc. and on prime 95 im hitting 63C tops. with a Coolermaster 922 HAF case and Hyper 212+ cooler. I dont know much about your case but from looking at it it doesn't look very air flow friendly.

Also what Kind to TIM's did you use. This can be the differance of several degrees.

This link should help you with your TIM applications should you feel you need to redo it.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=4

TheTech214

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
You temps are good. Start to concern when the cpu temps reach over 65c. If/when this happens look into an after market cooler. Coolermaster "V" series are good.