SpiralPath

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
System: ASUS P6X58D Premium, Intel i7 950, Windows 7, Intel Matrix Storage Manager

I created a RAID 1 array with 2 identical Seagate Barracuda 21.5 TB drives and then one of the drives failed. This array is not the boot drive. I removed the failed drive and installed a replacement drive (same everything - manufacturer, model, size, etc.) using the same SATA port as the failed drive.

Intel Matrix Storage Console shows:

Arrays
|-Array_0000
|__Volumes
|___RAID-1
|__RAID Hard Drives
|-Port 2:ST31550541AS
|-Missing Hard Drive
Non-RAID Hard Drives
|-Port 0: ST31500541AS

I want to rebuild the array with the existing good drive and hopefully keep all of the data that is on the drive.

I need help rebuilding the array.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Orpheusi

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hi Dan,

I'm desperately looking for a solution of the same problem. It would be very appreciated if you share your solution, if you got it solved by now.

Sincerely,
Sam

regan99

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

I realize this thread is pretty old, but I was searching for info on an unrelated RAID 1 issue and came across it.

However, your problem is easy to solve. Physically installing the drive and using the same SATA port isn't enough. You also need to go into your RAID controller or BIOS and make sure the new drive is marked as a RAID drive, and then add it to the same volume that the existing RAID 1 is in (I think you called the volume RAID-1). Once the drive is earmarked as a RAID device and is a member of the volume that is missing a drive, your controller will take over and mirror the data on the active drive to the new one.