HELP mosfets!!!!!

yellosnowman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
hey I have a DFI 790fxb m2rsh and one day while i was playing cod4 smoke came from my comp and shut down :eek: :eek:
so i pulled the plug and checked the mobo out, (i knew it wasn't my cpu because it gets 28c idle)
and one of my mosfets blew, no idea why
I can RMA this board but I would have to drive for like 3hrs to the shop (because I'm too poor to ship it)
and wait for a week
I just wanted to know if the blown mosfet will affect my OC
btw I have a Phenom II x2 550 and I want to it 3.8~4.0ghz
if it will affect my comp majorly badly I will rma it otherwise Ill keep it till I get the AC freezer 64 pro which is christmas

Solution
Sorry, thought someone was playing a trick, since the mosfet's control voltage going to the motherboard, ram, cpu etc. you are definitely asking for trouble. While some mosfet's are redundant (actually helping each other or taking turns) you don't know what's getting improper voltage particularly when the system is stressed. Since it appears to still be running you've gotton lucky so far that nothing else has been damaged.
Send the board back or drive, before driving call ask if they are prepared to give you another board before driving there though. They may just send it out for RMA to manufacturer and you'll have to wait in anycase.

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Is this a trick question ?
Three hours drive is approximately 180 miles, times 2 is 360 round trip. At 30 miles per gallon at best thats 12 gallons at $3.00 for $36.00.
Wait, you're siphoning the gas right.
Rma the board, shipping can't be more than ten or twelve bucks, or 4 gallons gas.

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Sorry, thought someone was playing a trick, since the mosfet's control voltage going to the motherboard, ram, cpu etc. you are definitely asking for trouble. While some mosfet's are redundant (actually helping each other or taking turns) you don't know what's getting improper voltage particularly when the system is stressed. Since it appears to still be running you've gotton lucky so far that nothing else has been damaged.
Send the board back or drive, before driving call ask if they are prepared to give you another board before driving there though. They may just send it out for RMA to manufacturer and you'll have to wait in anycase.

Solution