Sign in with
Your question

Problem installing my graphics card, please help!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Power
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 10, 2009 1:29:01 AM

Hi,
I'm not sure if I should ask this question here or the mobo section. It could be a very stupid question.
I am building my desktop for the first time.
After I put everything (Phenom 720, ECS 790GX mobo, HD4850) into my Antex 300 case and power on, it shows on the screen "Your video card is not connected to the power cable, please refer to the manuals for proper installation."

On my mobo, there is an traditional 4-pin ATX4P "Auxiliary power connector for graphics card", which I didn't connect to the PSU at the beginning.

I checked all the manuals. The mobo manual didn't mention when I should connect the ATX4P, while the HD4850 manual only says "Plug the external PCI-E power cable(s) to the card if required".

I then connected the ATX4P to one of the 4-pin power cable from the PSU and power on.
However, it still shows the same message "Your video card is not connected to the power cable, please refer to the manual."

I checked my mobo carefully, but didn't see any other 6-pin/8-pin power connector. It looks like the 4-pin ATX4P is the only power connector for the PCI-E graphics card.

The on-board GPU works fine.
Can anyone give me some help?
Thank you very much!

More about : problem installing graphics card

a c 274 U Graphics card
June 10, 2009 1:32:25 AM

There is a power socket on the graphic card itself that requires a 6 or 8 pin plug direct from the PSU.
a c 208 U Graphics card
June 10, 2009 1:34:20 AM

The external PCI-E power cables come from your power supply not your monitor, your graphics card needs more power than the PCI-E slot is able to supply so it gets a dedicated connection from your power supply. If your power supply does not have one of these there are some molex(4 pin) to 6 pin adapters out there you can get. What power supply do you have?
Related resources
June 10, 2009 1:47:35 AM

OH!!!!!!
Thank you mousemonkey and hunter315.
I just found that I totally ignored the 6-pin power connector on my 4850. What a fool I am!!!!!
Sorry for this stupid mistake. Thank you again.
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2009 1:54:44 AM

It happens to the best of us. :) 
No worries, hope everything turns out great.
a c 274 U Graphics card
June 10, 2009 8:11:33 AM

beef1218 said:
OH!!!!!!
Thank you mousemonkey and hunter315.
I just found that I totally ignored the 6-pin power connector on my 4850. What a fool I am!!!!!
Sorry for this stupid mistake. Thank you again.

You're welcome.
June 10, 2009 2:29:07 PM

You can unplug the 4-pin molex from the motherboard if you have it in...that is for Crossfire I believe and is unnecessary for a single-card setup :) 
!