Error: CPU Fan Failure.

SmartForce

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
What is my next step for this error? This error force the PC to shutdown. Steps taken; first I saw my CPU Fan is not spinning at all, so I plugged it into the case fan slot to check if its good. It runs fine. So I connect the working case fan into the CPU fan slot. It doesnt spin in that slot. although Both fans do work in the case fan slot they dont work in the CPU fan slot. I read that I should disable the CPU Fan in bios, then get the lastest bios firmware update. Too make sure the fan is reconized. I go to Bios and find that it definately does not have any option to disable the cpu fan. Pheonix bios(<--you suck.. just letting out my frustration) The only firmware update HP offers for the bios update is run on the operating system. But, my error forces a shutdown and I cant by pass it in bios. I counldnt find an update that was bootable on HP. Can I use another bootable generic bios for my motherboard? Whats my next step? any help would be great! Thankyou HP Pavilion m8000 Desktop, vista 64bit athlon Manufacturer: Asus Motherboard Name: M2N68-LA HP/Compaq motherboard name: Narra-GL8E

Lots of possible causes. You've checked the CPU fan and it works, that's good.

1) Is the heatsink/fan properly installed on your CPU? The CPU fan/heatsink should tightly contact the CPU heatsink, with sufficient quality thermal paste between the CPU's heatsink and the CPU fan heatsink. If not, that condition would cause the CPU to overheat and shut-down the computer to protect the CPU when you tried to start it.

2) Motherboard failure - requires a replacement motherboard.

There may be other possibilities, but you did not tell us the age of the system or whether or not someone has rebuilt it, or other modifications to the original assembly, etc. You could always contact HP technical support for additional help.

Good Luck!