Sign in with
Your question

DVD shows in Win 7, but not in BIOS, won't open

Last response: in Storage
January 17, 2011 11:51:11 AM

Hi folks,

this is a doozy - I've been all over the internet trying to find an answer, to no avail. Having run out of SATA ports, I bought a PCI-e SATA II card with two SATA ports and connected my DVD-RW to it. The drive doesn't show up in BIOS, but will eject and close before windows starts to boot. Once Windows is booted it won't respond to the eject button and there is no LED, but it shows as working in device manager, as does the SiL 3132 SATA card. I have updated the card BIOS and driver with no effect and tried the upper/lower filters fix to no effect. The windows fixits and troubleshooters find nothing wrong. This drive used to work just fine. Another odd thing is that the name of the drive reported in device manager has changed to some random string of characters with "scsi cd rom device" on the end.

I am running Windows 7 x64 on an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO mobo. The drive is an Optiarc AFAIK.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
a b G Storage
January 19, 2011 8:47:09 PM

Have you flashed the firmware recently?
a c 200 G Storage
January 20, 2011 4:49:34 AM

Is your bios updated!
January 20, 2011 9:08:30 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

@house70
I haven't flashed the firmware on the dvd drive recently. Fairly sure last time I checked it was up to date

@area51reopened
Mobo bios is the version before latest one as the only changes were support for new processors. I updated the Sil 3132 bios and driver but no change.

Since I first posted I have uninstalled the SATA card as my boot times had massively increased and I was getting strange freezes in Windows. Oh, and my onboard eSATA port had stopped working. I assume therefore that there was some conflict between the onboard and card SATA controllers but I have no idea how to proceed. I still need that extra SATA port.
Related resources
!