Sign in with
Your question

Can I mix and match different sized/timed/voltaged ram modules?

Last response: in Memory
November 8, 2009 5:49:54 PM

Right now I'm running 4 gigs of ram(2 sets of these: (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

What I want to do is upgrade my ram by replacing 2 of my 1 gig sticks with 2 4gig sticks. But I'm not sure if I can mix and match ram modules like that. I know they need to be the same mhz so I need DDR2 800s, but do they need to have the same timings and voltages?

I'm considering getting these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) but I see that the voltages and timings are different, and since I'm planning on attempting to overclock my Q6600, I'm not sure how that affects things or if they are even compatible.

Lil help? I've looked through upgrading articles, but can't seem to find specific answers on what I'm looking for.

I'm running:
OS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU
Intel Q6600 2.4ghz
Motherboard
MSI P6N Diamond SLI
Memory
4 gig Corsair
Graphics Card(s)
EVGA 8800 GTS(512)
Sound Card
Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Monitor Displays
HP LP2275w
Screen Resolution
1680x1050
Hard Drives
2 80 gig raptor drives
1 320 gig WD
a c 163 } Memory
November 9, 2009 12:08:54 PM

Isn't necesary that the RAM been the same MHz, if you install 1066 and 800, all RAM run at 800. Is better a low voltage ram, maxi 2.0V.

For your answer, yes, you can mix the old RAM and the new one. BUT maybe you don't see any diference in performace, you old RAM has CL 4, the new have CL6. If you buy the Kingston, set the voltage of your old RAM to 1.8V.
m
l
a b } Memory
November 10, 2009 4:45:10 PM

There could be a problem since you specifically say you want to overclock. I'll guess you mean the ram as well as the cpu. Certainly the 1066 will have plenty of headroom, it might be interesting to see what latencies the 1066 chips have programed in them by the SPD settings.
I would thing you'd want to lock in the settings to match the weakest parameters of the mixed pairs in bios to get your most stable overclock.
I could be wrong but my opinion is tied to your statement about overclocking.
m
l
!