Sign in with
Your question

SSD's, Intel Matrix storage controllers, and RAID 0.

Last response: in Storage
January 17, 2011 1:18:39 PM

I'm trying to clarify this issue, once-and-for-all.

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D EVO.
Controller: Intel Matrix storage controller.
SSD's: Currently, 2x60gb Corsair Sandforce 60gb, RAID 0, currently awaiting a 3rd.

Yes, I understand the risks of setting up a RAID 0 array to use as a primary disk, however, I have been careful enough to use this type of setup for the last 8 years (with some old spinners back in' day...) By storing critical/important files on a secondary disk, like the setup on my latest rig.

What I am trying to find out is, how can I absolutely guarantee that my setup is definitely using TRiM to keep performance at it's peak? I have read many forum posts about needing to have the latest intel drivers for TRiM support for an IMSC controlled RAID 0 setup, but wouldn't this be the case by default in Windows 7 anyway?

BTW, it would be very cool to see a Tom's article about this very issue, using standard mainstream on-board controllers, as the wash of confusing/conflicting information you can find on the web atm is not very helpful at all. I think there is a lot of potential just waiting to be unlocked for enthusiasts in this field.

Thanks.

More about : ssd intel matrix storage controllers raid

a b å Intel
a c 415 G Storage
January 18, 2011 4:45:06 PM

The Intel storage drives will pass TRIM commands to a drive that's attached to the motherboard chipset while it's in RAID mode, but they'll only do it for a drive that's NOT configured as a multi-volume RAID set. The intention is to allow TRIM to be passed to a single, non-RAID SSD used for the OS and yet still be able to configure one or more RAID volumes for the data drives.

See: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/18653
!