Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Acer computer

Last response: in Toms Network
July 2, 2012 2:23:40 PM

I have a problem. I bought an acer aspire desktop on ebay with the intention of fixing it the description said that the computer was over heating and shutting off. well after further testing the computer does not overheat or shut off but the computer locks up intermittently and I have to do a hard power off and turn it back on with or without a harddrive it will do it if the computer over heats i have not been able to find what is overheating. Both fans in the system are working i took the fan and heatsink off of the cpu and the thermal paste seemed to not be applied very well so i cleaned what was on there off with alchohol and applied new thermal paste. that did not fix the problem. I am going to run memtest on it when i get home from work tonight to see if the ram is the culprit but any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : acer computer

Best solution

July 2, 2012 6:04:46 PM

You pretty much are doing all you can for now to find the issue, memory is a good thing to test/swap since you checked for issues with the heat.

Another issue could be that the chips were damaged, motherboard, CPU maybe, causing the lock ups.
July 2, 2012 7:03:59 PM

so if my memtest comes back good then i should try a motherboard and if that doesn't fix the problem then get another cpu?
Score
Related resources
July 2, 2012 7:09:20 PM

Yep. Although at that point, I'd just buy a new PC.
Score
July 2, 2012 8:13:32 PM

well yeah that would be a solution but i bought the computer to fix and resell so what ever i get to fix it i am going to just add into what i charge for the computer so i think it will pay off
Score
July 3, 2012 12:14:10 AM

well i got home put memtest on a cd and ran memtest 1st pass came up with no errors working on the second pass and it already shows 16 errors so does that mean that i have bad ram and if so will replacing it likely fix the problem?

EDIT: at about 42% of the second pass a bunch of what looked like memory addresses came up on the screen and it said in the cpu area unexpected cpu halt what does that mean?
Score
July 3, 2012 1:27:39 PM

If the memory is sending bad data to the CPU, who knows what that system can do.

Try different RAM first, then you are on to trying a new motherboard and then a new CPU.
Score
July 3, 2012 2:18:55 PM

Well i ran the test again after the fail and it has been running all night when i went and looked at it this morning it had been running for 9 hours and all the errors came up on test 7 and from what i was reading test seven is block moving and it said that it was not a test for bad ram would you happen to know what would cause the errors it had made like 12 passes or so and it had 83 errors as of 4 this morning.
Score
July 3, 2012 2:53:59 PM

I only used that program a few times, have not ran into any errors when I used it though.
Score
July 7, 2012 12:52:54 PM

thank you very much for all the help i have just recently realized that i posted this in the wrong area of the forum so thank you for the assistance but i have posted further updates of the situation in the appropriate section of the forum
Score
July 14, 2012 3:09:03 AM

Best answer selected by mattjohnson669.
Score
July 14, 2012 3:10:53 AM

got my new motherboard in today and i got it in the computer and now the computer works
Score
July 15, 2012 9:12:13 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!