Graphics Card gone bad? Or Worse?

Krazedhermit

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2002
So. I launch World of Warcraft. Suddenly, the screen goes haywire. it flickers, distorts, all sorts of weird things, then the program crashes. Try again, same thing. I restart my computer.

Upon Boot up I see a bunch of red dots, and the text looks smeared, along with weird symbols and such. I'm completely boggling at this. So I turn my computer off, open her up and make sure all the fans are clean, I even re-seat the video card. Still the same problem.

I tried reinstalling the drivers, but the computer acted so wonky I couldn't get to the remove programs, so I tried safe mode. Lo and behold, I could get around my computer again. I uninstalled the drivers, used driver sweeper, and reinstalled them. Nothing. Still the same problem.

However I am able to access my computer in safe mode with networking, as I'm writing this on that computer. Though the desktop background shows red lines through the black of the safe mode desktop.

So. Long story. Does this sound like a graphics card clonking out? I've got a 8800 GTX Evga video card. OH! And I did switch my RAM out when it acted funny, no go there. So I at least know it isn't my RAM. :p

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009

Damn! I was sure it was the RAM :pfff:

Does your mobo have on-board graphics? That would be the easiest way to check it.
Could be temps, even if you checked to see if the fans are clean, because you never mentioned turning up the fan speed.
However, this does sound like your graphics card is going bad.

Krazedhermit

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2002
I figured. I have no idea how long it'll take to RMA it, so I ordered a GTX 275. Which is quite a bit better than my 8800 GTX. If by some crappy luck it isn't the video card, I can return it to Newegg... I still may get the card RMAed. Just to have a backup card. Having backup parts is awesome.

Krazedhermit

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2002

Sadly. I don't have another computer with a PCI-E slot. The other computer in the house is AGP still.

blackjackr

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Wow this is The exact same problem i am having, froze while playing wow had to hard reboot it then come up with the smudged boot up text then red lines or dots in safe mode. blue screen of death if i let it boot up normally. oh and also a 8800gt card.