Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need mobo advice for new build

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
November 8, 2009 7:25:40 PM

Im going with an ATI card this time and will crossfire within the next year... so I need that option or else I'd go with the evga board.... It's P55 by the way....

I'm torn on which board to get and Im looking at the Asus P7P55D Pro and EVO....

Can someone tell me the difference between them.. when I compare them on newegg, the EVO cost's more and only has 1 more LAN port (from what I can tell)



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Also, feel free to mention a good P55 board under $200


Thanks!

More about : mobo advice build

November 8, 2009 7:59:38 PM

I think the pro evo have clear cmos switch at the back,as you said the ethernet ports,1 dual gigabit and the Pro has only 1.an SLI connector in the EVO,(as im seeing on asus website)...well i know,i ve been shecking this boards out,(im building a 1156 system soon) but i decided i will get a maximus III formula.
The Maximus III gene is also a good one...
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2009 8:11:38 PM

If a P55 board does SLI it does crossfire as well.

What CPU are you using?

With the recent socket burn issues and board burn issues on P55 boards it's really better to go X58 if you can afford it.

ASRock X58 Deluxe board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i7 920
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If I had to have a P55 board, I would get one with a Lotes socket and some hefty onboard voltage regulation, like this EVGA:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Note the extra capacitors and mosfets around the CPU, the heatsinks, the Lotes socket, and the widely spaced PCI-E slots (better cooling for CF).
m
0
l
Related resources
November 8, 2009 8:15:56 PM

Proximon said:
If a P55 board does SLI it does crossfire as well.

What CPU are you using?

With the recent socket burn issues and board burn issues on P55 boards it's really better to go X58 if you can afford it.

ASRock X58 Deluxe board
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i7 920
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If I had to have a P55 board, I would get one with a Lotes socket and some hefty onboard voltage regulation, like this EVGA:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Note the extra capacitors and mosfets around the CPU, the heatsinks, the Lotes socket, and the widely spaced PCI-E slots (better cooling for CF).



Can't afford the X58.

That evga board was my first choice but I didnt think evga did Xfire???? it says nothing about it running Xfire or I would get it. Im using the i7 860
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2009 8:27:20 PM

The i7 920 and the X58 board I listed cost less, so it would be a matter of a bit extra on the RAM.

Any P55 board with two x8 PCI-E slots is going to have CF. It's built into the Intel chipset.
m
0
l
November 8, 2009 8:30:15 PM

Proximon said:
The i7 920 and the X58 board I listed cost less, so it would be a matter of a bit extra on the RAM.

Any P55 board with two x8 PCI-E slots is going to have CF. It's built into the Intel chipset.


The reason I was going with the 1156 is because if I go X58, the person Im building this comp. for want's the i7 950 and that extra money pushes it over my budget... I'd get the 920 but I have no clue how to OC. :( 

Why doesnt those EVGA P55 mobo's get good reviews?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2009 9:16:40 PM

The last review I saw for the EVGA seemed very positive.

The main complaint from this review was that the board was overkill... something I strongly disagree with. Robustness is never overkill.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/evga_p55_ftw_review...

If you are talking about newegg reviews, stop reading them. Most of those are written by the clueless who like to blame their lack of knowledge and lazy installation techniques on the motherboard.
m
0
l
November 8, 2009 9:21:36 PM

Proximon said:
The last review I saw for the EVGA seemed very positive.

The main complaint from this review was that the board was overkill... something I strongly disagree with. Robustness is never overkill.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/evga_p55_ftw_review...

If you are talking about newegg reviews, stop reading them. Most of those are written by the clueless who like to blame their lack of knowledge and lazy installation techniques on the motherboard.



I have 1 more question... I've heard about the turbo boost with the P55 boards and cpu's.... but never with the X58 boards and cpus.... Im reading a guide from bit-tech.net on how they OC'd a i7 920 and they said they turned the turbo boost off which put the 2.66 up to 2.93.... Is that true, that if I go with the 920, it'll auto OC to 2.93 when needed?
m
0
l
November 9, 2009 12:02:39 AM

i checked the lga1156 reviews,benchmarks,etc,and i think they have a terrific performance too,the x58 could be the best but if you cannot afford it then yo need to get the best P55,and with a good 1156,the i5 750 is very overclokeable....just compare them and you'll see what you can get
m
0
l
November 9, 2009 12:56:16 AM

I wouldnt go with the i5 for P55. If I go that way, it'll be the i7 860.

The P55 build ends up costing me like $50 more than the X58 build. Thats with the 860 and the 920.

I've read the OC guide on here and I just dont get it... call me dumb but it doesnt click with me for some reason.. I need to see someone do it in person or something.
m
0
l
November 9, 2009 12:17:20 PM

Beitzel15 said:
I wouldnt go with the i5 for P55. If I go that way, it'll be the i7 860.

The P55 build ends up costing me like $50 more than the X58 build. Thats with the 860 and the 920.

I've read the OC guide on here and I just dont get it... call me dumb but it doesnt click with me for some reason.. I need to see someone do it in person or something.



You just made me think a little bit more there before i build my 1156,i will compare those youre saying and i will choose.
Anyway,I think the 920 will be the best for you since the next one would cost you the double,and then over 400 man,and i dont think thats what you want.

I will keep an eye to that guide,anyway i dont want to get it up to 4.0,i think 3.0 - 3.4 will do the job. :hello: 
m
0
l
November 9, 2009 6:52:58 PM

damian86 said:
You just made me think a little bit more there before i build my 1156,i will compare those youre saying and i will choose.
Anyway,I think the 920 will be the best for you since the next one would cost you the double,and then over 400 man,and i dont think thats what you want.

I will keep an eye to that guide,anyway i dont want to get it up to 4.0,i think 3.0 - 3.4 will do the job. :hello: 



Same here. I want the 920 at about 3.3ghz... but Im scared to try and OC. :( 
m
0
l
November 9, 2009 10:43:15 PM

you dont be scared(just don't go over it's limits)make sure you get a good cooler,and don't change hundreds of stuff, if you want to take good care of it.
m
0
l
!