robertharden18

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Well, I guess to start it off.. Here's the the RAM I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

And... this is what I'm getting showing up in cpu-z, after adjusting the FSB, and turning off cool and quiet in the bios...

1ieb82.png

1z36t5j.png

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is normal for DDR3 memory running at the standard 1333 speed. Your BIOS is likely set to AUTO (or default). This is normal, to run your memory at the memory's rated speed (1600), you will likely need to configure the BIOS manually.

My advice is leave it alone. The performance difference is minimal, at best, and can cause all sorts of stability issues if not configured properly.

If you want to proceed, we will need the make/model of your mobo to provide better assistance.

Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You are just seeing where the system manages itself (even with CnQ disabled, I recommend you enable it, BTW). If you were stressing the system, you would likely see the memory speed increase. All modern systems increase/decrease component speeds (CPU, GPU, memory) as needed. It is an effect of power management, etc.

The standard for DDR3 is 1333, so setting to AUTO means running at 1333. To run at 1600 requires use of XMP (for mobos/memory that support) to get the mobo to config, or you have to do it manually.

The performance difference between 1333 and 1600 is not perceptible by the user. As a matter of advice, I never recommend overclocking memory (and to run at the rated 1600, you are technically overclocking) because the gains don't outweigh the negatives that can occur (heat, power, stability, lifespan, etc). Overclocking CPUs and GPUs, I am okay with. Your call.

robertharden18

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Thanks for your advice, since you say that the current settings are fine.. It's gonna stay as it is :)

So nice to be able to come here and get great information from people such as yourself!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is a great forum with some really good folks. One can certainly learn a lot here.

As long as you system is running well, I think you are doing the right thing to leave the memory settings alone (let the mobo manage for you as you are now). You should re-enable Cool and Quiet though, just to take greater advantage of when the system is "idling" (less power consumed and heat generated). Your system will "spin up" as needed when you stress it, not to worry, my friend.

Have fun and good luck!

robertharden18

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Well, since you know alot.. let me shoot some things at you.

I tried a couple different benchmarking tools, and heres some of the numbers I ended up getting, how do these look?

Cinebench R11- CPU- 5.69 OpenGL- 42.47

3DMark, I think score was about 3100

AMD 1055t, Nvidia GTX 460, 8gigs of the Gskill, is all I think you really need to know?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I do know a lot, but I am not a big benchmarking type. Your numbers look okay. However, you will always find someone who is faster and will offer you tons of advice on how to make your results better.

I am more of a practical benchmarking type. For example, fire up your favorite game and play at your desired settings. If it plays smoothly, try a higher visual details level. If it bogs down, go lower. Tweak the "playability" of of the game itself to optimize your performance.

The biggest thing you can do to keep the system running at its peak is to ensure your drivers are current. I go to ati.com or nvidia.com to get current drivers and NEVER use the files included with mobos or video cards (GPUs) because they are dated. Same hold for chipset drivers.

The other devices, I generally let Windows manage those (optional updates), but I keep my drivers current to minimize driver stability/performance/security issues.

Are you having fun yet?