How To Know If DVI To HDMI Capable

DVI -> HDMI is not a problem, as they have the same exact video signal.

Most newer NVIDIA cards support an internal SPDIF connection to the motherboard (assuming the mobo has an internal SPDIF connector) to allow for sound to be transmitted over a HDMI connection. Most newer ATI cards have an onboard audio chip to output sound over HDMI.

dizzizane

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009

Does the card also need HDCP support.

All cards with a DVI port are able to output a HDMI signal as HDMI is a super set of the DVI protocols.
Most newer GPU's either have on board sound cards or support input from another sound device and will pass the signal through the DVI => HDMI converter.

I would recommend switching that 8400GS for a low end ATI 4xxx card.
This will give you a much more feature rich HTPC card with on board audio.

dizzizane

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009

My selection is very limited because on the PC i have it only has PCI and AGP 1 not 4x or 8x so i have to get a PCI card. The best ATI card i found is this one http://tinyurl.com/4gx8pv . Would you say this would give me a more feature rich experience because its specs are noticeably lower than the 8400. Plus either way i cant have audio any way through hdmi because by MOBO dosent have SPDIF so im just going to get audio through the stero out. Out of these two which one do you recomend i get. Thanks for all help, very much