Sign in with
Your question

Good upgrade?

Last response: in CPUs
August 24, 2009 4:11:00 AM

hey guys im thinking of getting a new computer.
here is what i have
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-...

and this is what im thinking of getting,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

is it a good upgrade? im on a tight budget..around $500-$600.

i have a 9600gt that i can use in th new computer.

i mainly play WoW and some CoD.
if you guys have a different computer that you think would be better for me let me know. or if i should just keep mine.

thanks

More about : good upgrade

a b à CPUs
August 24, 2009 4:16:02 AM

yip, its a good upgrade, but im sure theres a better deal out there, y dont you just diy?
August 24, 2009 4:16:56 AM

it's ok...
Related resources
August 24, 2009 4:18:19 AM

ive never done a system build so im not sure how hard it is and stuff.
is it gonna be cheaper?
how hard is a diy build?
thanks
August 24, 2009 4:28:26 AM

Ever play with legos as a kid? (hell, you might still be a kid, lol) It's a lot like that. If you own a phillips screwdriver you have all the tools needed to build a computer. Whether or not it will be cheaper is hard to say, as it depends on what you want to do with the computer. Building it yourself allows greater control over the quality of parts installed into the computer, and allows one to choose how the budgeted money is spent. For example, a gamer will put more money on the graphics card. A video encoder guy will likely splurge for a fast quadcore and nice software. Building it yourself may or may not save you money, but at least it will be built exactly how you want it. The biggest caveat though is that you are your own tech support. The actual building part may be easy, but the troubleshooting aspect can be difficult with a steep learning curve at first. Don't let that scar you away from DIY, just be aware of such things before starting, so you can decide which course of action is best for you.
August 24, 2009 3:50:48 PM

how about a custom computer? so i can still choose a good video card but they do all the work... i dont know. im just afraid to ruin my computer if i do something wrong >.<
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2009 3:54:06 PM

well have you ever changed ram on a pc? or added a hdd?
August 24, 2009 4:06:07 PM

ive added a video card and changed a psu
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2009 4:39:29 PM

if you can do that you a third of the way to be able do a full build
August 24, 2009 9:23:08 PM

heh. i think im mainly worried about the processor installation with the stuff you have to put on it to get a good bond. i dont want to screw that up and waste hundreds of dollars.
if it isnt that bad ill consider a build
a b à CPUs
August 24, 2009 10:07:15 PM

thats actually one of the easier parts to do
a b à CPUs
August 25, 2009 2:13:24 AM

I think you're better off buying a new AM3 motherboard, X3 or X4 CPU, DDR3 RAM, Case, and PSU, while reusing the optical drives,9600GT, and hard drive of your current PC. I guess you could even just stay with that funky HP case ^_^.
August 25, 2009 6:00:10 AM

megamanx00 said:
I think you're better off buying a new AM3 motherboard, X3 or X4 CPU, DDR3 RAM, Case, and PSU, while reusing the optical drives,9600GT, and hard drive of your current PC. I guess you could even just stay with that funky HP case ^_^.

not a bad idea. basically keeping my video card and drives since they have all my info anyways. i dont mind the case but would it fit the new stuff?

i have a 450W psu...maybe i can keep it?
August 25, 2009 3:57:52 PM

I was hesitant about my 1st DIY, but I dove in by almost copying a DIY game rig presented here at TomsHardware. It was relatively smooth. Over the few years, I have upgraded RAM, GPU, PSU, but now I am at the point where I may need to do a whole other rig due to various compatibility issues :( 
!