955BE - 63C on Prime95 with stock cooler.

Terry1212

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Gave myself a scare tonight. Tonight I ran Prime95. The first few times I ran it, I ran the Blend(tests some of everything, lots of RAM tested) test. Never went above 61C. Tonight, I decided to run the In-place large FFTs(maximum heat, power consumption, some RAM tested) test. I watched it for several minutes. I left my computer for 3 minutes, come back, and all 4 cores were running at 63C! :ouch: I immediately stopped the test.

Product details for the 955BE state that the maximum temperature is 62C. Is there anything I should be worried about? Is it very likely I caused damage to my processor? Should I even be reaching temperatures that high? What the heck is going on here? :heink:

Edit: I'm using CPUID Hardware Monitor to monitor my temps btw.

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
u cant damage it on short runs. check what temps the others have on 955BE, it seems rather high to me. how are yout case fans, and ambient temp? is the heatsink placed properly?

Terry1212

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
My case has really good airflow. Ambient temp is about 21C(70F). I'm pretty sure the heatsink is on right. I'm going to install a Zalman CNPS 9700 NT this weekend. Hopefully, that will help.

UltraO

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Excuse me?? 63C that is nothing! Temps for CPU:s are always safe when they are 80C~ or less. The silicia can take up to 125C~ without being damaged(though this is extreeeemelyyyyyyyy dangerous, ALWAYS try to keep below 80C.

What they mean with 62C is the case temperature, I am almost certain on that!

Use other programs than hwmonitor, use realtemp for example, realtemp normally show the true temps.(that's why it is called realtemp ;) )

G

:non: LOL. Real-temp only supports Intel CPU's.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009

Go ahead and keep your temperatures at 75 degrees then. The rest of us will try to figure out why a non-overclocked CPU is reaching anything beyond 55.

You probably didn't damage it, as you didn't have it at that temp for an extended period of time. The hotter your CPU runs and the more voltage you give it the more it can suffer from electron migration. The problems could be, you didn't properly apply the thermal paste, or the air in your case is more optimal for a tower cooler and thus the poor little AMD stock cooler isn't properly circulating air and gets stuck sucking up alot of it's own hot air (had this problem in a cheap case with an Athlon 3000 back in the day).

cragzman

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
I had a high temp with my 9950BE cpu. The stock cooler seems a tad rubbish for quad core. I put on a Zalman CNPS-9700-LED cooler, full load dropped from 65c+ to 48c. The Zalman cooler was well worth the money indeed :)

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I have a 955 BE with a Aftermarket cooler, seti@home, gaming , video converter or crack Excel/PDF passwords ( My wife office is a hell ), it never passes 53º. And it passes the night on it. And some days....in a row..at 3.5ghz.

Although the stock cooler seemed very nice (for a stock cooler) you better get your aftermarket adn some nice Thermal paste.

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Although I know this thread is 6 months + old, I had the same problem... I guess I may have to get a new aftermarket cooler at some stage myself, but in the meantime... Is manhattan thermal paste decent? and whats MX-2/MX-3 Like... worth the $30 or so NZD for the Paste?!?