luckychalmz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Okay I am finalizing my build, I have had a speed bump. I was using a fan controller, but in recent decisions I have decided not to use it. So now I am curious to know rather I should connect my fans with a molex connector to each one or just connect one and connect them with the one that is attached to the connected fan and just keep connecting them all like that; or a molex from the power supply to each one.

Solution
Not sure I correctly follow you here.

You can splice all your fan leads into 1 and use a single molex if you want...this is what I did. However, DO NOT splice multiple fans into a 3 or 4 pin and then run to a MB header. A power supply can handle the load of multiple fans drawing on a single molex; I wouldn't take the chance on a MB header.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Not sure I correctly follow you here.

You can splice all your fan leads into 1 and use a single molex if you want...this is what I did. However, DO NOT splice multiple fans into a 3 or 4 pin and then run to a MB header. A power supply can handle the load of multiple fans drawing on a single molex; I wouldn't take the chance on a MB header.

Solution

luckychalmz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

You followed me correctly, lol. Another thing, I have a Noctua NH-D14 and it comes with one of those 3 pin splice connectors. So you can put two in one. When I was installing it I plugged that connector in a 3 pin connector that was on the motherboard right by the CPU and my fans wouldn't power up, and I got a CPU fan error when I powered my computer up. So I then plugged in my fans in these 4 pin connectors on the motherboard that were label CPU_FAN and PWR_FAN and they powered right up. I got a CPU fan error when I had it plugged in the other one. Is the way I have this setup correct?

luckychalmz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

I don't run water cooling. So the way I have these installed on the motherboard is correct? Because the connecters for the fans are 3 pin and the ones on the motherboard are 4 pin.

luckychalmz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

Haha sorry my mistake. Thank you for your help, appreciate it sir!