Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Noctua NH-D14, 40C Temps?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
March 28, 2011 9:02:04 PM

I am getting 40-42C with a Noctua NH-D14 under pretty much no load at all. I don't even have Windows installed on my computer yet. I haven't received my SSD yet so I've been getting everything together so all I gotta do is pop it in and what not. I had just connected all my fans in my case again cause of a decision to not use a fan controller (Thanks rubix for info) and decided to go in the bios and check some stuff out, and my CPU temp is not what I expected, 40-42C is kind of high for this cooler imo. I bought this heatsink cause of the recommendations I had gotten on here and all the reviews, and the reviews I saw people saying they were getting temps like 24-32C idle. I'm getting 40-42C, I have the fans exhausting out towards the top of my case (I have a HAF X) thought that it would better considering the two 200mm fans that are up there. What could be causing this?

Also I have this computer in my basement where it is usually anywhere between 62F - 68F ( I like being in a cool environment lol )

More about : noctua d14 40c temps

a b K Overclocking
March 28, 2011 9:12:43 PM

What is your CPU/Motherboard? What thermal paste are you using and are you sure applied it correctly? I suggest you re-orientate your cooler making it face the back of the case, fans exhausting air out the rear exhaust fan. It could also be that the warm air from the GPU could be sucked into the CPU heatsink. There's a lot of factors that could cause high temperatures...
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 324 K Overclocking
March 28, 2011 9:13:33 PM

Pull the side of your case, blow a desk or house fan (on high) into the case. See what your temps are. If the temps go down, you need to address case airflow.

If the temps remain the same, check out the cooler mount, etc. especially if that is idle temps. -> Idle for how long after cold bootup?
Share
Related resources
March 28, 2011 9:32:19 PM

cromedome said:
What is your CPU/Motherboard? What thermal paste are you using and are you sure applied it correctly? I suggest you re-orientate your cooler making it face the back of the case, fans exhausting air out the rear exhaust fan. It could also be that the warm air from the GPU could be sucked into the CPU heatsink. There's a lot of factors that could cause high temperatures...


Maximus IV Extreme, I used the thermal paste that came with the cooler, NT-H1 and to my understanding is a pretty good thermal paste. I used the pea method, put pea size in the middle of the cpu and put the heatsink on tighten little at a time on each side so the thermal paste doesnt goto one side more than the other etc.

rubix_1011 said:
Pull the side of your case, blow a desk or house fan (on high) into the case. See what your temps are. If the temps go down, you need to address case airflow.

If the temps remain the same, check out the cooler mount, etc. especially if that is idle temps. -> Idle for how long after cold bootup?


I shouldnt be having a problem with airflow, my case is open as hell, cable management is pristine, nothing blocking anything, and my fans are all working the way they're suppose to but i'll give it a try. I left it idle over night while I was playing Bad Company 2, and it didn't move 1 single degree when I looked at it before I went to sleep, probably around 10 hours.

Should I try taking my GPU out and see if the temps drop to see if its the air off that?
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 28, 2011 9:41:53 PM

Quote:
Should I try taking my GPU out and see if the temps drop to see if its the air off that?


This would be due to poor case airflow, if so.
m
0
l
March 29, 2011 2:00:11 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Pull the side of your case, blow a desk or house fan (on high) into the case. See what your temps are. If the temps go down, you need to address case airflow.

If the temps remain the same, check out the cooler mount, etc. especially if that is idle temps. -> Idle for how long after cold bootup?


Okay now that I am home I have tried this theory. I put the fan on my computer, but it's not really changing the temperatures that much at all. My awesome 40C went down to 38C and it's been a half an hour. I am thinking it's probably either two things, the way my heatsink is mounted, or I either put to much thermal paste or not enough or I just got a bad mount in general.

EDIT: I take that back, it's fighting between and 38C 39C has not gone below 38C.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2011 7:09:48 PM

I still think you should re-orientate the cooler and point it toward the back of the case. Then, see what type of temps you get.
m
0
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 29, 2011 7:13:28 PM

40C is pretty decent for most coolers at idle depending on ambient room temp. What are your temps with and without the fan test at load?

m
0
l
March 31, 2011 1:29:17 AM

cromedome said:
I still think you should re-orientate the cooler and point it toward the back of the case. Then, see what type of temps you get.


I'm going to just to see what temps I get. Going to use artic silver 5, couple more days and it'll be here.

rubix_1011 said:
40C is pretty decent for most coolers at idle depending on ambient room temp. What are your temps with and without the fan test at load?


Ok, now I'm definitely confused. I have installed windows, and I am using RealTemp and I've used CoreTemp, and they're both saying that my CPU temperature is at min 24 max 30 idle, but my bios says 40C?
m
0
l
April 1, 2011 12:01:26 PM

That's expected, your CPU will run at a pretty high speed in the BIOS and will only idle right once you get into the OS.
m
0
l
April 2, 2011 5:44:33 AM

quantumdawn said:
That's expected, your CPU will run at a pretty high speed in the BIOS and will only idle right once you get into the OS.


So you think that the temps im getting from the programs are correct and I have nothing to worry about?

Edit: Only reason I am asking is cause I am getting as low as 17C temps at idle now that I have had my computer running for quite sometime and what not that's the lowest temperature it has hit so far and the highest is 49C at full load but an avg of around 44C. Mind you this CPU is not over clocked at all yet.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
April 3, 2011 1:24:01 PM

I wouldn't worry too much. Also, I would rather use CPUID Hardware Monitor. But that wouldn't change anything. In the past my BIOS has also reported temps slightly higher than other software and so it all seems fine. Just keep the load temps under 70 while overclocking.
m
0
l
April 4, 2011 3:01:50 AM

cromedome said:
I wouldn't worry too much. Also, I would rather use CPUID Hardware Monitor. But that wouldn't change anything. In the past my BIOS has also reported temps slightly higher than other software and so it all seems fine. Just keep the load temps under 70 while overclocking.


Ok thanks.

m
0
l
April 5, 2011 11:31:30 AM

Best answer selected by luckychalmz.
m
0
l
!