Installing XP over Server 2003

lghost

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
We have a Dell server computer but we want to make it into a personal use computer. I'm trying to install XP on to it and eliminate Server 2003. There are two hard drives in this computer. Server 2003 is installed over the 12 GB hard drive and then the other hard drive is an 80 GB. For some reason, after the OS is loaded up it reads the 80 GB hard drive but when I go to format it, it says it is being used. I want to use the larger hard drive as the main hard drive and "try" to keep the smaller hard drive as the slave without formatting as there is a program I don't want to lose, although it isn't the end of the world if I do. I've tried to right click D: (80 GB) to format, I've also tried disk part.

After those options failed, I just booted up from the XP cd but it didn't read the larger hard drive at all as it wasn't listed in the options to install, format, or partition over. So then I opened the computer up and made it into the master hard drive through cable selct, I also tried it by putting the jumper in the master on the large drive and the smaller using slave. This caused the computer to beep very loud after starting it. I also just unplugged the smaller hard drive altogether but it still beeped loud. The beeping worried me and I immediately turned off the computer without going to the XP setup.

I was going to take the larger hard drive and format it in another computer but I have a feeling it still wouldn't be picked up by XP setup in the Dell server computer.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Also, is the bios replaceable with something else as I believe that is why it is beeping... I'm guessing the bios is made for servers...

Thanks

lghost

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Okay, I can't get the server to read the hard drives. I have taken them out and put them into another computer and they were read so it's not the hard drives. I formatted one and put it back into the server as a lone drive but it still wasn't picked up by the XP setup cd on the server...

Can someone tell me why the hard drives plug into a PCi card and not the motherboard it self? Thanks