HELP, I have run out of ideas! computer keeps restarting! HELP Please!

mikey19

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Hi,

I built a HTPC one year ago and everything was running fine until I moved to my new Apartment.

The computer ran inside a Silverstone LC03 ATX HTPC case
motherboard is: Biostar G31-M7 TE
2 GB DDR2 800 RAM
Intel E5200 2.5GHz running at stock speeds
eVGA 8800GS superclocked 384 GDDR3
Antec Neopower (or something) 550W PSU
WinTV HVR PCI tv tuner

Basically, the computer started to restart randomly after I started using it in my new apartment. The restart happens when I am doing something intensive, like playing a game or watching HDTV. It seems like someone just pressed the restart button, right in the middle of what I was doing! very annoying

I thought it was a heat problem, so I have changed out the cpu cooler to a very good Noctua one, I have also changed the graphic card to a Zalman cooler.
The restart persisted. So I bought an Antec 300 mATX case and transferred everything over.

The restarting continued. So I tested the memory, and saw there was one error -> so I have bought a new 4GB pair of DDR2-800 from Corsair. Its the gaming high performance version also.
Then I also changed the 8800GS to a brand new ATI Radeon 4670.

Reassembled everything and clean installed windows 7 (legit). I can see that the cpu never goes above 42C even under intensive stability testing.

The computer seems to run fine...UNTIL 2 weeks ago, while I was watching the Office on TV. It just restarted again!!!!! And then I tested it out playing world in conflict and IL2 1946; After a while playing World in Conflict (like 2+ hours), I had a random restart! The time it restart for IL2 was shorter, like only after 30 mins. Then i played again, and it ran IL2 fine for 2 hours w/o restarting...

I ran Everest Ultimate stability test for more than 9 hours (overnight) with logging, and the computer did not crash or anything. No errors were shown.
The voltages were steady and stable also.

PLease HELP ME. I have replaced almost everything on this computer! Is there something wrong with the motherboard? Do I have to replace it? Then that means I have to reassemble and reinstall EVERYTHING again. and being a grad student, I really don't have time right now... I just want something works!

i have already thrown $200+ into this junk...

MUCH HELP needed. and Thank you

G

In windows turn off automatic restarts , right click computer> properties> advanced settings>startup and recovery. You might be getting a BSOD and not know it. Other than that restarts are sometimes caused by insufficient power supply but you appear to have one that is enough.

Agree with braxton. PSU is certainly a suspect. Also try booting into safe mode and letting the system run for 30-45 minutes. If the system does NOT crash and restart, the problem is more likely software/driver related. Perhaps a BIOS update and reinstall of updated hardware drivers would be the solution.

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I too would be suspect of the power supply AND possibly you power company. You may be getting "dirty power" power companies are allowed to put out power within a 10% variance of 120V/60cycles. I live in an area where this is common and I use a power conditioner to make sure that the voltage is adequate and it has kept my systems from experiencing the same issues.

mikey19

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Hey guys,

thanks for the inputs.

I cannot change the voltage on the RAM. The G31-M7 TE do not allow voltage changes to the memory.

The power conditioner is an interesting idea.

but first i shall test to see if i get a BSOD; and also test to run the computer in safe mode.

Thanks

ShadowsWhisper

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

thanks i keep having this problem since i moved back to my old flat i reinstalled windows and it still kept restarting it self i unticked the restart automaticly but h ow do i stop these bsod?