Sign in with
Your question

Suggestions on a Heatsink and thermal paste

Last response: in Overclocking
March 28, 2011 11:03:01 PM

So I'm interested in trying to overclock my E6580 past its stock 3ghz to give save from having to upgrade for now and help with some of my gaming needs (mainly FPS). I am looking for a heatsink thats got great price to performance ratio. Right now I'm looking at this [ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler] that seems to be popular with people on newegg and around the price I would like to spend. Are there better maybe even cheaper heatsinks than this one? and how important would it be to use aftermarket thermal paste as i have never bought a heatsink before nor do i know the right amount/method of applying it.
a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2011 1:48:44 AM

Hyper 212+ $35.00.....cheapest and best for the money... works wonders but doesn't do your dishes or take out the trash...Check the stickies for proper Thermal Paste application.....
March 29, 2011 4:28:34 AM

Depending on the Thermal past that comes with the Cooler.. After market past can make a difference of several degrees. As for what kind many people argue differences. I use artic Silver 5 but i also have a 200 hr set time before i will see full effects of it.

Best advice for thermal past study different type and some to a conclusion of what you believe is best because everyone has a difference of option.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 29, 2011 4:38:45 AM

IMHO...Artic Cool MX-4 no cure time works great
!