Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dell XPS M2010 crashes after re-installing video driver.

Last response: in Windows XP
October 25, 2011 12:02:54 AM

I am working on a Dell XPS M2010 portable desktop for a friend. It was crashing on start up so I reformatted it. After re installing XP, It worked great until I installed the video driver. As soon as you start it up, it either has a blue screen error, or it goes to the desktop but is locked up with a weird noise across the speakers. I started it in safe mode and it works fine. I also tried installing an older version of the driver, but it did the same thing. I tried updating other computer drivers also. I was thinking this is probably the video card but I'm not sure. Does anyone have a suggestion? I think is has a ATI Radeon Mobility X1800 if I remember right.
October 25, 2011 8:50:24 AM

93baylorbears said:
I am working on a Dell XPS M2010 portable desktop for a friend. It was crashing on start up so I reformatted it. After re installing XP, It worked great until I installed the video driver. As soon as you start it up, it either has a blue screen error, or it goes to the desktop but is locked up with a weird noise across the speakers. I started it in safe mode and it works fine. I also tried installing an older version of the driver, but it did the same thing. I tried updating other computer drivers also. I was thinking this is probably the video card but I'm not sure. Does anyone have a suggestion? I think is has a ATI Radeon Mobility X1800 if I remember right.

In device manager, go to device properties for display device, and roll back the device driver. If that has no effect, delete the driver and reboot, and let windows detect new hardware.
Score
October 25, 2011 11:12:29 PM

ksiemb said:
In device manager, go to device properties for display device, and roll back the device driver. If that has no effect, delete the driver and reboot, and let windows detect new hardware.

I deleted it and the computer works fine without a video driver installed.
Score
Related resources
October 26, 2011 11:13:44 PM

How do I get the new driver back on. I tried several versions and both make it crash.
Score

Best solution

October 27, 2011 8:27:41 AM

You probably have already been to the DELL site:
Under Video XP for this model, Dell has listed 8 Drivers. The Radeon Mobility X1800 is listed as optional, so if you run without it, then the one installed by Windows is sufficient. Note that the other 7 drivers are either urgent or recommended, so take the appropriate action. Hope this helps.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.a...
October 27, 2011 10:12:41 PM

Best answer selected by 93baylorbears.
Score
October 28, 2011 1:35:06 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!