Question about WD VelociRaptor's

D

Deleted member 362816

I a looking at getting 2 of these for raid 0

the question here is why is it a 2.5 hdd in a caseing like that i just don't get it.

Also for 200$ is there a better option? i need 150gb

mavroxur

Distinguished
Because with a smaller disk, access times stay lower. The head doesn't have as far to travel on a 2.5" platter like it does on a 3.5" platter. You'll notice that almost all enterprise 10k and 15k SAS drives are 2.5". The velociraptors are GREAT hard drives. And that 2.5" to 3.5" sled they ship with also serves as a heatsink.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Your OS would be better on the velociraptors in a raid 0 then it would be on a single 500gb hdd.

They do make 80gb VelociRaptors. You could stripe two of those and get 160gb. They run about $60 on amazon.com now, and in a raid 0, would net some descent read/write speeds. A pair of 80 VR's should read in the neighborhood of 200MB/sec and write probably 150MB/sec. But, if you're going to spend $200, you're almost into SSD territory now. You can get a 128gb SSD that would blow away a pair of striped VR's for like $220. a 160gb SSD would prob be around $260 starting out.

D

Deleted member 362816

Food for thought lol, i will have to see what my tax return is then decied what to do.