Sign in with
Your question

Dell Dimension 9150 375 Watt power supply - Graphics card upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 10, 2009 4:28:34 PM

I just upgraded graphics card in my system thanks to Delluser1 and Toms hardware. Thank you and here is my experience. Before graphics card upgrade, i was sitting in front of computer all night, searching internet for clues. I was wondering if my dell 375 watt power supply (30 apms output) in Dell dimension 9150 will handle better video card, then old 7800GTX 256MB. Delluser suggested 9800GTX+, because it has only one 6 pin conector, but i wanted 10.1 DX support and DDR5. So, i took little bit risk and bought ASUS EAH4870 512MB DDR5 (ATI-AMD), which comes with two 6 pin connectors and requires at least 550 Watt power supply. And i have 375W only ;) 

Don't worry, be happy
Everything works well, even with old motherboard with PCIx 1.0. Don't be scared, you will blow up your system. It works :D 
Asus added 1 more 6 pin split connector to the box, so you can connect it to the 4 pin cable right next to the PCIx slot and second end to the 4pin cable coming from DVD and DVD burner. The second cable is little bit shorter, so...

Short cables for second 6 pin
Seat graphics card and secure it.
Connect 6pin from machine and place it down.
The second 6pin connector (coming with card) stick in the card and then connect carefully both 4pins. Place the cable, coming from DVDs around CPU heat sink and watch the card :non:  I have card slightly bended. If your cable is too short, buy rather extension, then broking card. I have it 1mm accurate.

Overclocked cards with Dell 375 Watt power supply
I don't know about overclocked 4870, but they should work as well, because i tried overclock GPU and memory without problem in smart doctor to the max GPU (from 750 to 850) and DDR5 memory (3600MHz to 4600MHz).

I think there will be no problem with ATI 4890, but don't blame me, if you will blow it.

If you want single card with two GPUs, like 4870x2.

Buy rather single now, then upgrade all system and cross fire it with next same card, which will be much more cheaper then.

:non:  THIS IS ABOUT 375 WATT POWER SUPPLY COMING WITH DELL SYSTEMS !!!! DON'T TRY IT WITH REGULAR ONES!!! :non: 
a c 235 U Graphics card
a c 165 ) Power supply
June 10, 2009 10:23:20 PM

*golf clap*
Related resources
June 11, 2009 5:20:23 PM

did you read all his post? ..... and bought 500W, and its still not working...

i think fail is between monitor and keyboard in his case :D 
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
June 12, 2009 4:28:59 AM

@mike79...actually it was the graphic card fault and if you read that carefully, he has said he is running it with the original PSU...
February 5, 2010 8:23:34 PM

HI sorry to resurrect an old thread but this seems like the place to ask.

I have the 9150 and was hopeing to upgrade graphics to geforce 8 8800GTX which recomends at least 450w, my question is will this work with the 375w supply or is the info specific to the card you was fitting?

thanks
!