Help building an i7 that is not rediculously expensive

dustout

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
I am in need of a new computer, this computer will be mostly used for photoshop/fireworks and gedit while in ubuntu. I would like to buy parts from my local computer store (www.memoryexpress.com), as i like supporting local companies.

My only requirement is that i want this computer to be an i7 build, i probably don't need it but i really don't want to open this computer until CS5 is out or in 4 years whatever comes first.

I would also like to be able to run this computer in linux with windows vista open in a virtual box. However if that would drop the performance greatly then i could just dual boot as i currently do with my laptop. So no biggie

Ideally I would like to spend $1100, excluding the case, and up to $1300 if a notable performance increase will be noticed.

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Ok, the cheapest i7 you can get there is the 920, priced at 375$
Board, you can go with a Gigabyte, the GA-EX58-DS4 one for about 300$
RAM goes for Corsair XMS 6GB for 135$
Hard drive, you probably want it big (at least 1TB) I would go with a Western Digital Black Caviar 1TB for about 130$
For case/PSU I would go with Antec Sonata III case, it comes with a good PSU at 150$
As for video card, you should look at nVidia's side, since they have better driver support for Linux. You don't need a lot of firepower so a 9600 GSO will be enough at 80$
All this comes down to 1170$, I would check newegg.ca for better prices... you could save about 200$ on it all, but you'll probably partly pay for shipping...

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
^ ncix.com would be cheaper than newegg.ca though, especially with price match.

and if there is one of the samsung spinpoint F1's there then get that, they're faster than the WDC blacks, and cheaper.

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Those prices are pure anal rape.

If you buy from there, you deserve to get anal raped (without lube).

What a joke, the cpu alone is $100 cheaper at Newegg.

True... just, get everything from ncix or newegg...

CodeNameSly

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Those prices are pure anal rape.

If you buy from there, you deserve to get anal raped (without lube).

What a joke, the cpu alone is $100 cheaper at Newegg.

Umm, actually they're about the same as NCIX, and not a whole lot more than Newegg. They're in Canadian dollars...