My laptop won't do anything- windows startup repair can't fix itq

pauladh

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
I can't get my laptop to do anything. It said something about data being lost when it went into hibernation mode, and then started running WIndows Startup Repair. It then said Windows Startup Repair can't automatically fix the problem. I can't even get Bios up. I bought my son an educational game at a bookstore yesterday and put it on there, and could never get it off the screen. Escape didn't work, and the game didn't have a menu to turn it off. So the game was just stuck on there. After several hours I took the disk for the game out, and then turned off the main power button when that didn't help. NOw It won't do anything. This game was NOT a download, and it's a well-known brand, but it's the last thing I changed and the only thing I have loaded on here, so it's strange that now I'm having my first problem ever. One of the screens said I should remove any hardware or software I have recently added, but I can't get to it to remove it. Please help! I need my comp. for work! Thanks! Also, not sure which Windows I have. I'm thinking xp or vista, but might be 7??

For future reference:

Pressing the Alt key and the F4 key will terminate whatever is the 'on top' item showing in windows (the item having "focus" of the computer). If done enough times, eventually there will be no programs running and you can shut down windows this way.

Your problem:

If you download a file, and burn it to CD, you can restore your computer to a date prior to installing that game. The file is one I have stored at 4Shared.com and it is an 'ISO' image of a CD that will need to be burned back to CD using a CD burner program that knows what to do with an ISO image file.

You will boot the computer from CD with this disk in the drive.

The program can perform a system restore rollback, and many other things too.

If you go for it, it will probably save your day to say the least. When running the CD, remember, it runs entirely from memory, so it loads slow. About one minute into loading, it will start looking for network connections, click "Skip Networking" and allow it to continue. When it finds your XP install, it will show it and have you select it as the system you want it to work on. Right after that, you are back in control. It will look a lot like XP running. Look up "System Tools" and there will be the "System Restore" program to use. Choose a date on the calendar that is just prior to installing the game. Allow it to do it's thing and when you restart, you are back to that date.

Get the ISO image file named "2005"
HERE

If needed, get an ISO capable CD burner program free, HERE

Edit: The game will still be in the hard drive, but no longer "installed" so it probably won't run. Use Windows Explorer to delete the game, it's folders and shortcuts. Make a new restore point when it's gone.

Soz

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for your help! this has happened to myself also. On the ISO file... there are numerous commands (ie: bootsect/MRR, /NT60, all

In reading the help file it's a little confusing.. For a Vista computer... is it as straight forward as applying the NT60 or should I use another command?

maankipreet

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012