Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Apple Laptops

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
April 6, 2004 3:05:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I was looking for a new laptop and i almost hate to admit it, but i
really like the apple powerbooks. But i would prefer a PC and I was
wondering if what PC laptops compete with the apples in terms of
battery life, specs, etc. I like the HP Pavillions, but the battery
life is pretty sad. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
-Pat

More about : apple laptops

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
April 6, 2004 8:28:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

preimherr@yahoo.com (Patrick Reimherr) wrote in message news:<78b05d17.0404061005.1283a788@posting.google.com>...
> I was looking for a new laptop and i almost hate to admit it, but i
> really like the apple powerbooks. But i would prefer a PC and I was
> wondering if what PC laptops compete with the apples in terms of
> battery life, specs, etc. I like the HP Pavillions, but the battery
> life is pretty sad. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
> -Pat

IBM ThinkPad.

http://www.ibm.com/thinkpad
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
April 6, 2004 10:18:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> really like the apple powerbooks. But i would prefer a PC and I was
> wondering if what PC laptops compete with the apples in terms of
> battery life, specs, etc. I like the HP Pavillions, but the battery

If battery life is your main criterion, you would probably be best
with a [PC] laptop based on the Transmeta Crusoe processor.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
April 7, 2004 1:05:38 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Patrick Reimherr" <preimherr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:78b05d17.0404061005.1283a788@posting.google.com...
> I was looking for a new laptop and i almost hate to admit it, but i
> really like the apple powerbooks. But i would prefer a PC and I was
> wondering if what PC laptops compete with the apples in terms of
> battery life, specs, etc. I like the HP Pavillions, but the battery
> life is pretty sad. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
> -Pat

Eg. IBM ThinkPad T41

Regards
Lucar
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
April 7, 2004 8:03:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

preimherr@yahoo.com (Patrick Reimherr) wrote:

>I was looking for a new laptop and i almost hate to admit it, but i
>really like the apple powerbooks. But i would prefer a PC and I was
>wondering if what PC laptops compete with the apples in terms of
>battery life, specs, etc. I like the HP Pavillions, but the battery
>life is pretty sad. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

You do know that you can have the best of both worlds with Apple,
don't you? You can buy the Virtual PC software (made by MS, formerly
by Connectix) and run any version of Windows on your Mac.

This is being typed in Forte Free Agent, running on Windows 98 under
Virtual PC on a Mac iBook.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net

"There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
--Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
April 7, 2004 8:03:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

hbelkins@restrictorplates.mis.net (H.B. Elkins) wrote in message news:<40742610.3713471@news.newsguy.com>...
> preimherr@yahoo.com (Patrick Reimherr) wrote:
> You do know that you can have the best of both worlds with Apple,
> don't you? You can buy the Virtual PC software (made by MS, formerly
> by Connectix) and run any version of Windows on your Mac.

At about 1/8 the speed of real Windows. Mac people seem to be able to
deal with this since they don't really know Windows any other way;
whenever I use a Mac running Virtual PC (guy next to me at work uses
it), it's absolute torture.

I would never recommend buying a Mac based on using Windows software.
If you want to use Windows software, buy a Windows machine. If you
want to use Mac software, buy a Mac. Simple as that.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
April 8, 2004 8:50:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>> I was looking for a new laptop and i almost hate to admit it, but i
really like the apple powerbooks. But i would prefer a PC and I was
wondering if what PC laptops compete with the apples in terms of
battery life, specs, etc. I like the HP Pavillions, but the battery
life is pretty sad. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Pat:

You have to be cautious when you buy a Mac due to the hype via Apple mktg.

Apple claimed 5 hrs for an iBook. One on the mags tested it against a Dell
C400 (I own one) using a DVD movie.
The iBook finished the movie then quit (much less than 5 hrs). The Dell
C400 went 15 min longer than the iBook, and Dell would never claim 5 hrs for
battery usage.

IMO, Macs and PCs are both good products. Spend some time researching both
platforms.
April 8, 2004 2:01:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"H.B. Elkins" <hbelkins@restrictorplates.mis.net> wrote in message
news:40742610.3713471@news.newsguy.com...
> preimherr@yahoo.com (Patrick Reimherr) wrote:
> You do know that you can have the best of both worlds with Apple,
> don't you? You can buy the Virtual PC software (made by MS, formerly
> by Connectix) and run any version of Windows on your Mac.
>
> This is being typed in Forte Free Agent, running on Windows 98 under
> Virtual PC on a Mac iBook.

I have a 1GHz Powerbook and I am sure you're not serious. Running VPC 6 is a
pain. I have it installed but it's so slow that I gave up on it. My grief of
PB is lacking programs I need when on the road, like road map,
encarta/dictionary etc. The battery only lasts for about 2.5 hrs. I am
seriously thinking of getting Fujistu P5020D subnotebook!!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
April 8, 2004 8:12:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
news:rq9dc.1535$A_4.1098@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> "H.B. Elkins" <hbelkins@restrictorplates.mis.net> wrote in message
> news:40742610.3713471@news.newsguy.com...
> > preimherr@yahoo.com (Patrick Reimherr) wrote:
> > You do know that you can have the best of both worlds with Apple,
> > don't you? You can buy the Virtual PC software (made by MS, formerly
> > by Connectix) and run any version of Windows on your Mac.
> >
> > This is being typed in Forte Free Agent, running on Windows 98 under
> > Virtual PC on a Mac iBook.
>
> I have a 1GHz Powerbook and I am sure you're not serious. Running VPC 6 is
a
> pain. I have it installed but it's so slow that I gave up on it. My grief
of
> PB is lacking programs I need when on the road, like road map,
> encarta/dictionary etc. The battery only lasts for about 2.5 hrs. I am
> seriously thinking of getting Fujistu P5020D subnotebook!!


Leo:

I have a Rev A 12" PB, and I easily get 3-4 hours use. Again it depending on
your power setting, having blue tooth, airport extreme, with the CD going
constantly and the screen brightness up full. Then yes you'll drain the
battery faster. But doing the same thing on a PC laptop will have the same
affect.

Dictionary have you tried looking into a Mac alternative. I'm sure there's
some out there. The PC laptop I replaced with the PB I got max 2.5 hours
even with screen brightness down. My Albook is miles better with the
quality, battery & especially the keyboard.

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been happy with your Rev B PB.

Rick
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
April 8, 2004 8:17:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"CZ" <CZ@no99spam.com> wrote in message
news:nS4dc.13887$8N4.2151@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com...
> >> I was looking for a new laptop and i almost hate to admit it, but i
> really like the apple powerbooks. But i would prefer a PC and I was
> wondering if what PC laptops compete with the apples in terms of
> battery life, specs, etc. I like the HP Pavillions, but the battery
> life is pretty sad. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
>
> Pat:
>
> You have to be cautious when you buy a Mac due to the hype via Apple mktg.
>
> Apple claimed 5 hrs for an iBook. One on the mags tested it against a Dell
> C400 (I own one) using a DVD movie.
> The iBook finished the movie then quit (much less than 5 hrs). The Dell
> C400 went 15 min longer than the iBook, and Dell would never claim 5 hrs
for
> battery usage.
>
> IMO, Macs and PCs are both good products. Spend some time researching
both
> platforms.

You also have to watch PC laptops battery claims as well they do hyping as
well.

My PB according to Apple lasts 5 hrs. I get 4 hours 15-20 minutes depending
what I have turned on.

Rick
April 9, 2004 5:16:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Rick Blythin" <mosguy@gosympatico.ca> wrote in message > I have a Rev A 12"
PB, and I easily get 3-4 hours use. Again it depending on
> your power setting, having blue tooth, airport extreme, with the CD going
> constantly and the screen brightness up full. Then yes you'll drain the
> battery faster. But doing the same thing on a PC laptop will have the same
> affect.
>
> Dictionary have you tried looking into a Mac alternative. I'm sure there's
> some out there. The PC laptop I replaced with the PB I got max 2.5 hours
> even with screen brightness down. My Albook is miles better with the
> quality, battery & especially the keyboard.
>
> I'm sorry to hear you haven't been happy with your Rev B PB.
>
> Rick

Okay, I ran a test tonight, 3.25 hours non-stop, sedated usage is close to
the reality. This was limited to internet surfing via Wi-Fi and very light
word processing, mainly keeping the PB from going to sleep. I usually leave
the PB in sleep mode and the battery power keeps slipping away, due to the
fact that it doesn't have hibernation capability. When I really use the PB
hard, like unstuffing (unzipping in Windows term), playing DivX or DVDs, the
battery power drains very fast. Although I like the PB and love the
diversity of different OS, with the new definition of subnotebook, the 12"
PB is a bit in the heavy side. Nevertheless, the lack of software that I
really need on the road is killing me. I am going to get the Fujistu
LifeBook P5020D with add-on modular bay battery and from the real users'
comments I read, it'd last me for a whole day of use.
April 12, 2004 7:06:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Rick Blythin" <mosguy@gosympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:Mmidc.10534$BF2.1003430@news20.bellglobal.com...
>
> "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> news:rq9dc.1535$A_4.1098@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> > "H.B. Elkins" <hbelkins@restrictorplates.mis.net> wrote in message
> > news:40742610.3713471@news.newsguy.com...
> > > preimherr@yahoo.com (Patrick Reimherr) wrote:
> > > You do know that you can have the best of both worlds with Apple,
> > > don't you? You can buy the Virtual PC software (made by MS, formerly
> > > by Connectix) and run any version of Windows on your Mac.
> > >
> > > This is being typed in Forte Free Agent, running on Windows 98 under
> > > Virtual PC on a Mac iBook.
> >
> > I have a 1GHz Powerbook and I am sure you're not serious. Running VPC 6
is
> a
> > pain. I have it installed but it's so slow that I gave up on it. My
grief
> of
> > PB is lacking programs I need when on the road, like road map,
> > encarta/dictionary etc. The battery only lasts for about 2.5 hrs. I am
> > seriously thinking of getting Fujistu P5020D subnotebook!!
>
>
> Leo:
>
> I have a Rev A 12" PB, and I easily get 3-4 hours use. Again it depending
on
> your power setting, having blue tooth, airport extreme, with the CD going
> constantly and the screen brightness up full. Then yes you'll drain the
> battery faster. But doing the same thing on a PC laptop will have the same
> affect.
>
> Dictionary have you tried looking into a Mac alternative. I'm sure there's
> some out there. The PC laptop I replaced with the PB I got max 2.5 hours
> even with screen brightness down. My Albook is miles better with the
> quality, battery & especially the keyboard.
>
> I'm sorry to hear you haven't been happy with your Rev B PB.
>
> Rick


One more complain about the PB is the sleep mode is not trustworthy. A
couple of times, when I opened the lid while the PB was in the sleep mode,
it's didn't resume and I had to reboot. The battery gauge showed 70% power
left so it's the not battery problem. Thank god that I didn't lose too much
stuffs in those incidents.

I never had such problem with my old Toshiba in hibernation mode.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
April 13, 2004 6:09:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

As a long-time Intel laptop user, my daughter got an Apple iBook this year.
My impressions are:
.. great out of the box, easy to configure
.. great styling/engineering; good size, good screen
.. would probably be below IBM & Toshiba and about equal to Dell the way
most people in this newsgroup rate reliability, but Apple users are as
fanatic as the IBM supporters here
.. well-supported in the academic world; poorly supported in the business
world (except design)
.. slow compared to WINTEL systems of the same price; getting good
performance is expensive unless you have an academic discount
.. great satisfaction if you hate MS/Intel
.. less risk from viruses

In summary, it's not as big a deal as it used to be--pro or con. If the
software you need to use runs on an Apple, and you want to be different, go
ahead. But don't count on Virtual PC to do any heavy lifting.




"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
news:zfyec.6787$A_4.6346@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> "Rick Blythin" <mosguy@gosympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:Mmidc.10534$BF2.1003430@news20.bellglobal.com...
> >
> > "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> > news:rq9dc.1535$A_4.1098@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> > > "H.B. Elkins" <hbelkins@restrictorplates.mis.net> wrote in message
> > > news:40742610.3713471@news.newsguy.com...
> > > > preimherr@yahoo.com (Patrick Reimherr) wrote:
> > > > You do know that you can have the best of both worlds with Apple,
> > > > don't you? You can buy the Virtual PC software (made by MS, formerly
> > > > by Connectix) and run any version of Windows on your Mac.
> > > >
> > > > This is being typed in Forte Free Agent, running on Windows 98 under
> > > > Virtual PC on a Mac iBook.
> > >
> > > I have a 1GHz Powerbook and I am sure you're not serious. Running VPC
6
> is
> > a
> > > pain. I have it installed but it's so slow that I gave up on it. My
> grief
> > of
> > > PB is lacking programs I need when on the road, like road map,
> > > encarta/dictionary etc. The battery only lasts for about 2.5 hrs. I am
> > > seriously thinking of getting Fujistu P5020D subnotebook!!
> >
> >
> > Leo:
> >
> > I have a Rev A 12" PB, and I easily get 3-4 hours use. Again it
depending
> on
> > your power setting, having blue tooth, airport extreme, with the CD
going
> > constantly and the screen brightness up full. Then yes you'll drain the
> > battery faster. But doing the same thing on a PC laptop will have the
same
> > affect.
> >
> > Dictionary have you tried looking into a Mac alternative. I'm sure
there's
> > some out there. The PC laptop I replaced with the PB I got max 2.5 hours
> > even with screen brightness down. My Albook is miles better with the
> > quality, battery & especially the keyboard.
> >
> > I'm sorry to hear you haven't been happy with your Rev B PB.
> >
> > Rick
>
>
> One more complain about the PB is the sleep mode is not trustworthy. A
> couple of times, when I opened the lid while the PB was in the sleep mode,
> it's didn't resume and I had to reboot. The battery gauge showed 70% power
> left so it's the not battery problem. Thank god that I didn't lose too
much
> stuffs in those incidents.
>
> I never had such problem with my old Toshiba in hibernation mode.
>
>
!