Sign in with
Your question

External hdd issue

Last response: in Storage
January 18, 2011 5:21:20 AM

I just bought a western digital elements 2TB hdd and cannot copy multiple/large files from my pc onto it. It's in NTFS format and says it come preformatted for windows xp, wista and 7 (I use 7 pro x64). When I it starts copying after a few seconds it freezes.

More about : external hdd issue

January 18, 2011 8:03:17 AM

Try copying smaller folders. The USB 2.0 connection may not be able to handle what your throwing thru it.
January 18, 2011 9:07:22 AM

but I have mkv files @ >4gb plus I read that ntfs format should handle files that large
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 18, 2011 9:44:09 AM

What jockey is saying is try moving some small files first. There could be an issue with the drive or the USB cable.
January 18, 2011 9:54:18 AM

Yes, handling them is not the issue. The transfer rates may be bogging you down. Also, Win7 tends to show an initial transfer time much greater than the actual time. I often see estimated times of, say, 2 hours, and actual time ends up 10-15 minutes. Didn't mean to say the 2.0 can't handle it, might slow it down a bit. If this is just a one time "bulk" transfer, you could set up 100g or so at a time when there is something else to do. Then just verify file sizes when done.
January 18, 2011 2:02:44 PM

smaller files upto 600mb I'm able to copy. So if like a got a thousand pictures I need to copy them in groups of 20 for example? or if i have a file say 4gb do I need to split it? thanks
!