Dell Inspiron 9400/ Graphic Card nvidia 7900gs dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

otakon87

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Hi, i need to buy a new graphic card for my laptop. It's very hard to find a new nvidia geforce go 7900 gs without spending a lot of money! In a repair shop in the city where i live asked me 450€.. i think they're insane! Can someone suggest me a site where i can buy this card???

In alternative, are there other graphic cards which are compatible with the DELL 9400??

Please... I'm going mad... thanks! :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

wolf73

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Had same problem, paid a fortune for a refurbished nvidia 7900 card and it worked for about a month and it's dead again.

Even Dell representative was unable to offer me a solution. They have no replacement in stock.

Dell = never again.

i need to buy a new graphic card for my laptop

Good luck with that, 450 is probably the best price you will get as they need to replace the entire motherboard as often times even if it does use a PCI-E connector in a laptop it is hardwired in and isnt actually a slot due to space constraints.

G

Actually hunter315, this laptop DOES have a removable card. And it suffers (from what i have gathered around other forums etc) that when they were made there was an issue with solder purity and also a heat issue while running in the machine. I have also been searching for a reasonable price to replace the one in my 9400. The best I have found yet is $249 US from an online parts source. The trouble is, they are all pulls from reclaimed/recycled laptops.

There is mention about people baking their cards in an oven to try and reflow the solder. I have also watched (to my horror) a youtube video of someone carelessly disassembling their laptop and holding a heat-gun to the card. I am hesitant to try either method as it seems to be a temporary solution at best.

If you know someone that does electronics repairs and has the CORRECT TOOLS for reballing a BGA chip, take it to them and have the solder replaced on the card you have. I used to know someone who worked in the Q/C and repair department at Celestica here in Canada, I may try to track him down :)

Status
Not open for further replies.