Single GTX285 working @ x8 in x16 PCI-e 2.0

dchen

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
I've just built a new rig but CPU-Z and Everest both show that the single graphics card is working at x8.

cpuzsdv.jpg

I've tried the 2 x16 slots on my motherboard and I've got the same results. One of the slots is always x16 and can not be changed in BIOS settings, but I tried various settings (auto and x16/x1) with the other slot but nothing worked.

i7 920
Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Graphics: ASUS ENGTX285
Corsair 1000HX PSU
Windows 7 64-bit; all drivers (and BIOS) are up to date.

ASUS claims it's the OS. I think it's the card or the board.

I have seen posts about this before. As long as the bandwidth is correct there is nothing to worry about.
One of the replies on the other post i read said its doing it as it a PCIE 2.0 card and X8 on a PCIE 2.0 card is teh same as X16 on a PCIE 1.0 card.
Dont know if thats right or not but thought i would post it anyway.

Mactronix

totzo

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
I have a similar setup- p6t deluxe v2, bfg gtx 285, i7 920, and have the same concern. It says the same thing in win7 & vista so I doubt it's the os (haven't tried xp though). Tried nvidia control panel, everest and cpu-z, all reporting x8 with a x16 max. I emailed bfg about it and they said there is no reason why the card would show this and to contact asus about it.

I'd like some confirmation about it if it is indeed the board that is at fault. How would you go about checking the bandwidth of the card?

totzo

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
well in my case gpu-z shows x8. I just tried another pcie 2.0 x16 card on the same board and it reports x16 so I thin it's a prblem with the gfx card.

No not that, under GPUZ there are a host of other things listed and one of them is teh Bandwidth listed in GB/s. Its 5 fields up from the bottom on the right ;)

Mactronix

m0ngy

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Hi everyone.

I'm looking at CPU-Z, in the Graphics tab, and there is a Memory, Bus Width field but it is disabled, not showing anything. My card is a Radeon 4670 which should use PCI-e 2.0 16x, huh? The board is an Asus P6T Deluxe v1.

I have the card in the primary PCI-e slot (blue) and it should be locked at 16x, yet CPU-Z reports the Link Width as 8x, Max Supported as 16x. Catalyst Control Centre reports the Graphics Bus Capability as PCI Express 2.0 (no lanes specified) and the Maximum Bus Setting as PCI Express 2.0 8x.

Its specifically the Bandwidth that we are after which is the one directly under memory bus. Eitherway if there are fields greyed out then GPUZ isnt working properly and you should try updating it or re downloading it.

I dont beleive anyone has an actual problem just CPUZ not reporting properly.
For mOngy specifically you can check it agains the info in teh catalyst control center. you need to be in advanced mode and then look under graphics hardware.
As for you Nvidia guys well i guess there is a similar setting somewhere in your driver suite, but i dont know.
Once you find a reported bandwidth just check it against a review of the card, you should find its ball park if not then you have an issue.

Mactronix

m0ngy

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Ok, in the Catalyst Control Centre under Graphics Hardware I've found an item called Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s, which is currently 27.9 GByte/s.

Is this a healthy number?

Thanks

m0ngy

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I've been looking at the info regarding the Radeon 4670 a bit more closely and I notice that it doesn't really say 16x, just PCI Epress 2.0. Should I simply presume the card is therefore capable 16x bandwidth?

The card is listed at 28.8/32 GB depending on model so your reported speed is slightly slow but not enough that its running at half speed as would be the case if the CPUZ report was correct

Mactronix

m0ngy

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Cool. So, no worries then, huh?

Do you have any idea why I would be getting a false report from CPU-Z? I'm using the latest version, 1.52, and have fully updated my BIOS also. I'm running Vista Ultimate 64.

Cheers mate

dchen

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Hmm, seems like this thread is still alive... :eek: FWIW I actually gave up after contacting ASUS and they said it's because Win 7 is beta and not not supported, so I RMA'd the ASUS GTX 285 card, then bought an EVGA GTX 285 and it worked fine on the same motherboard and OS, all benchs showing that it's working @ x16.

totzo

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
I realise this thread is long dead but I thought I'd add this in case someone finds it :)

I just forgot about the problem as I figured it wasn't making any difference to graphics performance. Anyway, I just installed the new nvidia drivers- version 257.21 and for the 1st time since I bought it, my card is being reported as pci-e x16 Gen2

Looks like it was just a weird drivers issue all along :)

ferjero989

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
i prolly shouldnt, but im tempted to bump this as i have the same issue, but everything is different
i got a m3n hd hdmi board, 750i chipset
260gtx video card
8gb ddr2 800mhz ram...

my card also says thats running @ 8x