Sign in with
Your question

Windows/system/32 file is corrupted or is it?

Last response: in Windows XP
October 25, 2011 2:53:51 AM

Hello everyone,

I came home from work today and turned on my computer as usual and it came to a black background screen, it said that a Windows/system/32 file is corrupted and that I needed to perform "r", what that is I don't know. So next I hit escape and powered down my computer, then I restarted the computer and everything loaded up just fine, Windows had no problems booting up. So if there is a corrupted Win/sys/32 file why then did it boot up just fine on the second attempt? I read "Performing a Repair Reinstall of WinXP & Other Tips", but after performing a repair reinstall of WinXP will all of my installed programs (games etc...) still be there?

Thank you, Systemlord.
October 25, 2011 3:23:25 AM

Quote:
I read "Performing a Repair Reinstall of WinXP & Other Tips", but after performing a repair reinstall of WinXP will all of my installed programs (games etc...) still be there?

They will all be there. What won't be there is all your updates, .Net Framework, DirectX improvements.

Repair install will revert your XP back to the same condition it was in when you installed it, but won't delete or uninstall programs. Many of your programs won't run until you re-update everything, especially service packs.

Start making a new restore point manually every day so you'll have a bit of insurance if the rogue file really does die. Maybe event viewer will give a clue which one it was.
m
l
October 25, 2011 3:49:07 AM

tigsounds said:
Quote:
I read "Performing a Repair Reinstall of WinXP & Other Tips", but after performing a repair reinstall of WinXP will all of my installed programs (games etc...) still be there?

They will all be there. What won't be there is all your updates, .Net Framework, DirectX improvements.

Repair install will revert your XP back to the same condition it was in when you installed it, but won't delete or uninstall programs. Many of your programs won't run until you re-update everything, especially service packs.

Start making a new restore point manually every day so you'll have a bit of insurance if the rogue file really does die. Maybe event viewer will give a clue which one it was.

Strangely enough Event Viewer doesn't show any problems, we have other problem though. 4ryan6's sticky, "Performing a Repair Reinstall of WinXP & Other Tips", step by step instructions are not matching what I had to go through. First I never had the press F8, re-enter any product key and the second I pressed R for repair below is the screen I encountered. I wasen't able to highlight anything as it wanted me to type which drive I wanted to repair via the Recovery console, then it asked my for the admin password for which in my case I never created a password. So now I have no clue how fix my WinXP let alone repair it. :heink: 

See picture below

m
l
October 25, 2011 8:35:20 PM

I am a little unsure about all this simply because the sticky thread (Performing a Repair Reinstall of WinXP & Other Tips) given it's step by step instructions are so different, is there a reason why the step by step instructions are so far off from what I have experienced?

Thanks
m
l
!