Cannot Overclock my Phenom II 940

G

Hello,
I have been using my pc well over a year now and a few days back after reading some reviews I decided to give overclocking a shot.The problem is I could not get my processor to run over 3.2GHZ at stock voltage.So I went for 3.5GHZ and and raised the voltage upto 1.45 but still had no luck.I just changed the multiplier and kept everything else on auto.Does this mean that I have a bad processor cuz I have seen people overclocking this processor to 3.5-3.7ghz on stocck volts,or is that I am doing something wrong and if that is so then I world really be glad if someone would kindly tell me the necessary settings.

Thankyou.

My Specs:

AMD PHENOM II 940BE
ASUS M4A785-M
A-DATA (2x2GB) 800MHZ RAM
WD CAVIAR BLUE 500GB
HIS HD4850 512MB GDDR3
Regular 400W psu(It came with the case)
Samsung DVD writer.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
It probably the PSU as stated above my sweet spot for my X4 940 is

CPU: 3.6@1.46v
Multiplier: 18
Ref. : 200

This was after lots of trial and error as that was my first real experience OCing. anything above 3.6 and it would just shut down no matter the volts. The CPU is fine more likely than not. The PSU is just giving up on you when the CPU is having extra juice pumped to it....that 400-watt generic PSU is probably only giving you 200 watts or a little above....Remedy: New quality 500-watt + PSU